The Protector

It wasn't the sun that woke you up this time, but the ephemeral scent of roses. Trance-heavy, your eyes hesitate to open again to the world, still peacefully keeping you in a waking dream, only barely aware of your surroundings. The warm glow of gently dancing candlelight was hidden behind a sleepy gauze, the rest of the room coming into view as obscure shapes. You consider briefly if you should drift off again, the temptation heightened by the soft brush of silk beneath you...

It isn't until in your stupor you give thought to where you were that the horror of your previous waking moments washes over you like the cold waves of a stormy sea. You sit up with wide eyes and trembling breaths, taking in the room more fully. The walls were stone, not concrete but natural stone as if it had been hewn inside a mountain or hillside. Against the rocky wall were candelabras, the only source of light, which gave the room a haunting color. Across the bed you sat on was a large, 18th century-style wardrobe and a set of drawers with a marble counter. Beside you was a nightstand, a bottle of water sitting atop. You hesitate to reach for it, but your parched throat urges you to unscrew the top and take a big gulp.

You spot the door on the other side of the room and quickly hop up, realizing that you're still dressed in your "work clothes", which consisted of a black t-shirt and jeans. You had no idea how long you've been out. Assuming that your kidnapper was still around, you cautiously approach the door and open it slowly, wincing as it whines against the hinges. It opens to a long corridor which resembles a normal house more than the cave-like interior of the singular room, the same style of furniture decorating it. Your eyes immediately search for another door. You had to be underground, you thought, meaning you probably had to look for some kind of tunnel exit. Sneaking forward, you spot a door that could possibly be an exit. Taking a glance around, you break into a sprint. Just a few steps away⎼⎼

Before you could blink, he was in front of the door, arms crossed over his chest, "Sneaky little thing."

You gasp and skid to a stop, nearly losing your balance. The man before you is tall and lean, golden locks streaming over his shoulders like pure sunlight, his eyes the same light, pure blue as the clear sky; yet they held a dark allure from which you couldn't tear your own eyes away. He was dressed in a black waistcoat and jacket, a crimson cravat with a singular jewel in the center decorating his neck. Every inch was immaculately put together, not one hair or thread out of place. And his voice, that familiar dulcet tone that had swirled around in your head during both your waking and dreaming moments, met your ears now with its unsettling beauty. The last time you saw such a magnificent creature was at your door, bidding you let him inside.

His full lips are set in an amused smirk, "Don't be afraid, if I wanted to hurt you I would have done so already."

"I-It's you," you mumble stupidly, looking around again as if for a place to escape, though you'd probably have a better chance digging your way out than getting through a door, "Where am I?"

"You're safe," he takes two gliding steps forward, his gaze never leaving yours, "In an underground apartment."

You retreat back, bumping into a sofa. The vague memory of your obscured savior holding you close flashed in your mind, "What the hell happened last night?"

"You had the unfortunate luck of meeting some...unsavory characters. You were lucky I was keeping an eye on you."

The admission shocked you, though considering that he had rescued you, maybe shouldn't have. Your lips parting slightly, "You were...why?"

Another step and he has you trapped, just like before, his skin just inches away, the scent of roses which had awoken you wafting gently from him like a mist fogging up your mind. His smile, a sardonic grin, forms words that make heat pool in your stomach, "Because, you taste delectable.