Chapter: 2

It's 5:45 pm, a Saturday.
It's windy, and the cold breeze sweeps its way up your sleeves and chills you throughout. You rub your arms up and down, sighing out a visible breath of regret.
"M-maybe it was too cold to come out today," you say as you place a bookmark between the pages of a cheesy horror novel and snap it shut.
"I need to get home and take care of my baby anyway. Poor Mittens must be so lonely!"
You smile at the thought of squeezing your adorable cat, feeling bad about leaving him alone, and wrap your scarf tighter around your neck. You stuff the book into your bookbag and shoulder it.
   Looking around you see, to your surprise, that the area was quite lonely. There had been a couple walking their dog not too long ago and you had seen another family walk past at least once. But now the park was clear of any person.
You are completely alone.
   Winter was on its way. The days have been getting shorter and colder with each passing week. Most people with any sense would choose to stay cosy inside their warm homes and spend time with family; not wandering around some old park to find a quiet place to read for hours on end.
"I guess they have better judgement than me."
   Night was rolling in fast anyway, so you don't mind calling it a day after only forty minutes of being out.
The park was surrounded by dense trees on all sides, and the entrance to it was an old dirt road that you'd have to be looking for to find. A rusty gate falling off its hinges was the only standing protection of the entrance. Overall, the whole look of the park was enough to deter people from entering, but that's what you like about this park.
   You'd prefer to be alone.
"Hm hmm hm," you start humming as you stuff in your earphones and take out your phone that was resting in the pocket of your hoodie. You skip through five songs until you land on "Sweet Victory" and decide it's good enough. You start nodding your head, feeling yourself flow with the beat. Your heavy boots snap twigs and crush leaves. The wind blows around your hair poking out of your hood.
You couldn't be happier; life is treating you well.
   There are less than three weeks of high school to attend until you could graduate, work full time, and afford the bills at the apartment complex where you live alone, save for Mittens. Your luck was finally turning around for the better.
   You reach out your hand to push the park gate aside when you feel a hard tap on your shoulder.
Startled, you gasp and flip around, coming face to face with a dirty scream mask splattered with a dark substance.
   You scream and in your hurry to thrust the gate open, you trip over your own feet and crash into the metal bars before your rear hits the ground. You tuck your head low and hold your hands up defensively. Your whole body trembled, and you couldn't force yourself to open your eyes.
   You were so sure that you were about to die, but nothing happened. And then a deep, warm laughter fills your ears and runs ice down your spine. Something about that laugh unsettled you. Slowly, you begin to pry open your eyes.
Then your breath catches right in your chest.
   Your hands lower so you can look at him better; the man standing in front of you, holding that scream mask and clutching his stomach, hunched over and laughing.
   He was a lean man, about your height, wearing a black robe of some sort, with black high boots and black leather gloves. His whole outfit seemed to be devoted to the color. He was wearing his hood up, and short, dark black hair fell into his eyes, preventing you from seeing his entire face.
But you did get to see his smile.
   That smile was wide, beautifully white, and kind to look at. It was one of those sights that could make anyone's heart melt.
Already, you could tell this was one handsome man.
"I-I.. uhm. W-who..?
   You struggle with your words as you try to talk, try to ask this man some questions about who he is, but you almost become permanently mute when he stands straight again and pulls his hoodie down.
   A cool, pink blush rushes across your face and you pan your head away from the man, cursing yourself.
Meanwhile, the man gazes down at you with sparkling blue eyes, tearing right through your soul.
   He looked young, having a kind, soft face, but with strong features. It was like you had torn a model from a vogue magazine and summoned him to life.
You found yourself hoping that he was around your age.
"Are you alright?" He asks, and the deep pitch of his voice warms your body from the toes up. He approaches and extends out his hand to you.
   With his gaze focused on you, you do your best not to let him see your face as you accept the warm touch of his hand in yours and are yanked to your feet by incredible strength. You notice his eyes are locked onto you, running you up and down, studying you, watching your every move. You avoid his eyes by looking down and play with your hair and wish you could hide inside your hoodie; your face was flushed embarrassingly red. It seemed like he was checking you out, and that made you happy.
Then...
"Hm, yep," he says, eyes still viewing your body, "you're definitely the one."
You're too lost in your own daydreaming to understand what he's going on about. Your blush rises higher.
"W-what?~"
   You lift your eyes to him, eyelashes fluttering, a cute, shy smile on your face... and then you see the bloody knife clutched in his hands.
   Once again your body goes cold to the touch. You look at him and his eyes no longer have the brightness to them; he looked completely insane. A cold, bloodthirsty glare pierced through you, and his smile was crooked, crazy.
   He didn't even resemble the man from a mere moment ago. His grip around the knife was tight, and shaky, like he was refraining from using it.
You can't move.
You can't breathe.
You can't scream.
Your body was no longer yours.
"You ready to go for a little walk?~"