Chapter: 3

Your throat feels dry, your eyes are  stuck incredibly wide, and your heart wasn't beating right. If this man didn't kill you now, a heart attack would.
   He takes a step closer and that does it. You bolt, turning on a dime and pushing off the ground as hard as you can, shoving open the gate.
You get to take five steps before a strong hand grabs the back of your hood and a hunk of your hair under it. You let out a scream as the man pulls hard and you lose balance, tumbling backward and crashing onto your behind yet again. Your earbuds fly out of your ears and your phone out of your hand. The back of your head smacks into the man's knee with a thud and you land on your arm, twisting it awkwardly in all your flailing.
   You can taste blood in your mouth, and you start to cry out in agony as the man nearly starts to rip out your hair with how aggressively he was yanking you by it, dragging you across the ground. You kick your legs wildly, only being able to throw up dust and disturb leaves in your wake.
You curse and yell, pleading for him to let you go. Tears are welling up in your eyes as you squeeze the man's wrist, trying to scratch or injure him, but his thick clothing served as effective protection against your efforts. It was like trying to fight a bear; you couldn't pierce his hide or compete against his strength.
You are completely helpless.
   The man's cool chuckle rumbling within his throat mocked your screams. Your life begins to flash before your eyes. In that moment... you wish that you could start over, do things right, take a different path in life that you could be proud of. You wish you could've been a harder worker, a better student, a better friend..
   You wish you could've seen your parents one last time, too.
   Then you start to think of Mittens and you realize that nobody would know he's alone. Nobody was going to be able to care for him. Mittens was all that you had left. You couldn't leave him.
   As the man was pulling you further into the dense trees, you knew time was running out.
   You invite back an old habit of biting down on your lip, pricking it, summoning confidence into yourself, as you attempt to flip your body around and get onto your knees. You turn your left shoulder to the ground and use your right leg to throw yourself onto your stomach. You succeed, but this twists the man's arm awkwardly and he throws a terrifying glance behind him.
"Hey, girly, cut that out. I don't want to hurt you so soon, 'kay?"
You scowl at this, adrenaline fueling your strength.
"I said let me go!" You drag one leg in front of you, using it to dig your foot into the ground, which effectively slows the man.
   You pull against his grip no matter how badly your scalp felt like it was ripping. You plant your nails as deep as his thick leather gloves would allow.
   With an aggravated sigh the man suddenly stops and releases his hold on you. A surprised shriek escapes your lips as you tumble backward with your own force.
You're able to catch yourself and lessen the impact, but you don't get the chance to move- he's on top of you in an instant.
   You go to yell again, but suddenly lose your breath as his hand sharply wraps around your neck. Not having time to think, you lash out and slash your nails across his face like a cat.. and by the expression on his face, you could tell he wasn't expecting that. Dread fills you; you were sure that you had just sealed your fate by pissing him off, but instead.. he smiled.
   A drop of blood from the cut you gave him above his eye dropped down onto your face as you lay frozen under him, gazing right into those crazy eyes of his as he grinned at you.
This sick fuck was enjoying himself.
Panic fills you to the brim.
"Get off me!" You start thrashing your arms and legs, trying to throw him off you, but he's not moving.
   He shoves his knee between your legs and then wraps both of his hands around your throat and squeezes, shutting you up.
   Unable to get a breath in, you reach up to his face and scratch, trying to take out his eyes, but your strength is fading and your eyes are suddenly becoming blurry. You paw at his face as your vision starts to go black.
   Soon... you are knocked out cold.

   The man snickers to himself as your arms fall limp to your side and you are no longer putting up a fight.
He removes his hands from your neck, where his tight grip had left a bruising imprint.
   He's kneeled over you, staring at you a moment before leaning down and licking his own blood off your face. He then brings his lips down to your ears and whispers, as if you were awake to hear him: "Don't worry yourself anymore, darling.. I'm going to take very good care of you.."