Chapter 5

"The first thing we should get in order are your properties." Griphook was all business now, much calmer now that Harry had gotten the compulsions and blocks removed.

"I have properties?" The tone in Harry's voice was a casual curiosity, but the animated look on his face betrayed his calm composure. Griphook's face twisted in amusement, as he carefully handed over a sheet about two feet long. His face turned even more smug as Harry read, his jaw dropping the farther along he read.

"Sir, this must be a mistake!" Harry's voice rose an octave as he spoke.

"There is no mistake Mr.Potter. Have you been told anything about your parents? How they died?" Griphook had a grim look on his face as Harry nodded.

"They were drunks sir. Died in a car crash." Harry was taken aback by the outraged look on the goblin's face.

"Lily and James Potter, dying in a car crash? Oh no child, your parents were among some of the bravest of the second wizarding war."

——————————————

A long explanation and about a hundred questions later, Harry sat in stunned silence. Lord Voldemort, huh? Well, it was absolutely impossible that he had actually killed him, he was sure about that.

"Griphook sir, what was Voldemort's intent with starting that war?" The goblin eyed Harry as he said this, taking a moment to think before coming up with a response.

"He wanted to meet his soulmate, Mr.Potter. He wanted to live long enough to meet his soulmate, and after years of life with no one by the name of Harry James Potter yet born, he began to get impatient. He worried he'd die before he met you, and so he created horcruxes." Griphook took a breath, and before Harry could get a word in, he started talking again. "Horcruxes are very dark magic, the splitting of one's soul to make the person immortal. As far as I am aware, doing so drove him mad, as each horcrux he made took a little piece of his sanity with it." At this, Harry sat in stunned silence.

He had a soulmate, who had tried to kill him and had done horrible things to the wizarding world. Who was driven crazy by dark magic, a little piece of him was whispering. By all rationality, he should be terrified. Voldemort-or Tom, rather- was very obviously still out there in one form or another. Yet he couldn't bring himself to be worried.

"Soul bonds are a very rare thing these days. I would consider myself lucky if I were in your position, Mr.Potter. A soul bond keeps the soulmates unable to truly deal harm to the other-I believe that is why Voldemort vanished as he did all those years ago."

A/N

Hi guys,, sorry it's been so long since I've posted! I'm back now, and while updates will still be sporadic, I have hopes to continue this story.