Chapter 6

Chapter 6

I stood at the Campbell's front door. The psychiatrist stood right behind me. I hadn't seen Lewis's parents for a while, and one of their sons was dead now. I lifted my hand and knocked softly. The door swung open. Mrs. Campbell stood there, looking small and lost.

"Oliver," she breathed. She stepped forward and threw her arms around me. "Oh, honey." I still couldn't let myself cry. I felt a lump in my throat, but my eyes were dry. "What are you doing here?" she asked, eyeing the psychiatrist.

The psychiatrist stepped forward. "Ma'am, with your permission, we'd like to go to your trailer."

Mrs. Campbell looked at me, her eyes full of questions. "Go right ahead." She touched my shoulder gently as we walked past her into the house.

The psychiatrist followed me through the backyard and into the trailer. "Where would you sit when you played truth and dare?"

I shook my head. "Wherever. The couch, I guess." I sat on the couch.

"And the back room is there?" the psychiatrist pointed to a door in the back of a room.

I nodded.

' "Could you walk back there now?" he asked, patiently.

I slowly walked back. I pushed open the door. The room was mostly filled with a bed. There were narrow gaps on each side. I must have been standing there, just looking at the room, for longer than I thought because the psychiatrist put his hand on my shoulder.

"Oliver? Is everything okay?"

I began shaking violently.

"Oliver?" the psychiatrist pulled me back out of the room. "Are you okay?"

I looked at him. "I remember. I remember everything," I droned. I found myself finally able to cry.