Part I

It was a little unusual that your agent asked to meet you in person.

The last time you met up with Ms. Kim was when you signed your contract with her almost two years ago. Since then, it's just been video chat, phone calls, and emails. But this time, she said it was special.

For some reason, that made you nervous.

The correspondence for your biggest gig yet was negotiated entirely online. What could be more special than becoming one of the youngest professors to be granted tenure at Seoul National University that she needed to see you in person?

"Okay, let's cut to the chase," Ms. Kim set her coffee down on your table as you continued to sip yours. "I know this seems very unusual," well yeah, she couldn't even wait to meet you at a cafe. She just HAD to come over to your small ass officetel with the news.

"A little unusual, yes," you agreed with a chuckle.

"But do you remember how I discovered you?"

How could you forget?

A few years ago, you were writing fan fiction to mentally survive your dead-end job. One you couldn't quit because it's not a good idea to eliminate your stream of income during an indefinite pandemic.

You didn't get much attention doing it, but there was this one reader that kept you going.

The reader was so invested in your work that your anxiety once led you to suspect that someone from your real life found out about this and decided to mock you for it. Basically, it just sounded too good to be true. You knew your work was "k", but you didn't think it was as special as this reader made it out to be.

That reader was Ms. Kim.

Apparently, she was reading fanfiction in her downtime to avoid developing an aversion to reading. She was an editor at a publishing house and was forced to read transcript after transcript every day. She got into the job because she loved reading, but she had done it so often at such high volumes that she was starting to hate it.

When she'd had enough, she decided to try becoming a freelance literary agent, and the author of her favorite fanfiction was her first prospective client: YOU!

She always talks about how blessed she is to have found you, but you felt like the lucky one.

To say you were lucky would be an understatement. She was your guardian angel, and because you worked so well together, you were both able to get out of your shithole jobs and pursue something you both enjoyed.

"Luckily there's no evidence left of that," you scoffed. "I wiped out all soft copies of those when you started representing me."

"What?? Why??" she protested. "I loved them!"

"To reduce the chances of black mail," you admitted.

"Well, that's alright. I kept soft copies for myself," she grinned.

"Seriously!? How am I going to sleep tonight knowing all my old work still exists!?"

She took your hands in hers, "Okay, so hear me out? I told myself I would hang on to your work until my dream project for you manifested. And since it already has, I'm going to send my soft copies back to you to officially let go of it. I'll delete my copies and you can keep yours."

"I'm confused."

"I know this sounds so weird, but I'm a huge law of attraction gal, and I needed something tangible to help manifest this dream project of ours."

"AM I WINNING A PULITZER?!"

"What? No!"

You deadpanned, "That's the only dream I have."