05. In Too Deep

My mother always said I behaved a little too impulsively. She often told me I was like a child who never considered the consequences of their own actions. In my defense, it was hard to behave like an adult when I had an overbearing mother that always treated me like nothing more than an ignorant child. Growing up while she grew old was a very tiring experience. The more years that passed, the more nagging there was.

       The last time I'd heard an exhaustive mantra of hers I'd been at Mendoza's law firm to discuss the bare bones of my case against Spencer "the asshole" Scott. We didn't get much talking done that day before I stormed out of the law office with my hands in the air. My mother used that as a point in her argument that I was too spontaneous. However, that wasn't about me being impulsive. It was about me being fed up. 

        How could I not be? Seriously? Everyone around me wanted me to make a deal with the devil and I refused to oblige their ludicrous demands. It didn't matter if that decision ended up with me losing my freedom because at least it was my choice. Of course my mom didn't approve of my choice and you can believe she took every opportunity to let me know that I was making a huge mistake by not accepting Mr. Scott's offer. Even so I preferred making a bad decision than letting her control my life. It was bad enough she picked the college I went to. It was no different when it came to the situation I was currently in. My mom desperately wanted to make the decision for me, like she'd always done, but I wasn't going to let her have power over me any longer.

       Going to prison wouldn't be my first time losing my freedom anyhow. My on mother had been taken it away from me on and off my whole entire life. Sadly, it was something I'd become used to. It made being incarcerated have a certain appeal to it in a ludicrous kind of way. 

       Why you might ask?

       Because I'd get a prolonged vacation from my mother for the first time in my entire life! There was also the fact that going to prison meant that I'd be tucked safely away behind a slab of metal bars somewhere far, far away. All I really wanted to do was put as much space between myself and both of the tyrannical heathens that were wreaking havoc over my life as soon as possible.

       However, that wasn't exactly working out too well for me though.

       At that exact moment in time, Spencer Scott was right in front of me, standing stoic like a statue. We were merely separated by a couple small footsteps. It would've only taken half a second to close the distance between the two of us, then we could've been face to face with each other again. However, instead of inching forward, we both stayed frozen in our respective spots. To be fair, it was likely for the best that we maintained some sort of distance between us.

       Things got a little heated in the lobby on our way up here. All the office workers on their commute back to work had stopped in the middle of the foyer to stare at us. The attention only died down when Spencer threatened to have everyone fired. I wasn't sure how he could manage that considering half the workers around us weren't even his employees, but nevertheless, they listened to his threat like it was imminent.

       Once there wasn't much attention on us, he ushered me towards the elevators, which opened up to reveal that no one else was inside. 

       I'd never experienced a more awkward elevator ride with anyone in my entire life. It seemed like the tension around us got thicker with each floor that we passed, making the enclosed space all the more claustrophobic. When we reached the thirteenth floor, I practically ran out of the lift to alleviate the overwhelming sensation that overtook me. It was a mixture of uneasiness and stress and all of it came from simply standing next to Spencer Scott for a little more than sixty seconds. He was so intense that it was almost impossible for me to stay calm when I was near him in any capacity.