Welcome Back

They say you know it's real from the first kiss (It's true, I know, it's true)
And when we first kissed (I, I felt so tingly)
I knew it was real (You are the one for me)

Staring out the passenger side window I gazed into the rising sun as I travelled down the highway. It was my sophomore year at Williams North High School a boarding school located in Florida and it was a bittersweet moment knowing I was going back. I was listening to my music blasting through the my iPod attached to the aux cord. Playing a catchy song by a new artist named, Chrissy, called WTMD (What That Mouth Do). Listening to the relaxing yet somewhat raunchy song made me nod my head to the slow beat.

"What is this you're listening to Karissa? It sounds a little grown, little one." My mom said.

I looked at her and laughed slightly. "This song is not what you think it is trust me." Staring back out the window I continued listening to the music flowing throughout the tiny yet roomy car.

It turns me on, from then on
Your lip game, was too strong
What that mouth do?
It's unreal (uh huh)
It's unreal (okay)
What that mouth do?
What that mouth do?

Mouthing the words and continuing to bob my head to the music I relaxed. I was staring down towards the highway as I was about an hour or so away from the secondary "home" I would be living at for the next nine months or so. I was excited to be going back. Having been texting my best friend Riley almost all summer I was excited to see her.

I was currently texting her now in the car as I we responded to each other slowly. She was already at school for a couple of days now because she was doing preseason for her fall sport at school. Cross country. As much as she hated the sport with a passion she continued to do it for the sake of her father asking her to and not wanting to let him down.

My best friend Riley and I weren't always close when we first go to WNS. When I first met her I tried to get to know her as much as I could being that she was one of the only other black people I had seen at this predominantly white school. I thought it would be best to be friends and stick together knowing she probably had some of the same struggles or somewhat as I did. Boy did I judge a book by it's cover. She had already made some friends and as I started to get a little closer I had came to find out she was what I like to call an "Oreo" at the time. She was mixed with black and white from her parents, living in a nice huge house with two lawyers for parents, two older brothers, and four other houses owned across the U.S.A. Of course at the time I was slightly jealous but it wasn't because of that that made me not like her at first. It was the way she acted and somewhat treated me during our "friendship." Because of that I began to push away from her for a while but I had always told her if she ever needed me for something I would be there for her.

Freshman year was a sucky ass year for me anyway so it's not like I was busy with any type of social life at all. I was known around the school as hat girl for a while too because I was never comfortable with the new haircut I had. I walked around with a hag everywhere I went. I even played my sport in it. It was a terrible year and I was always self conscious anyway.

But back to Riley, after telling her that a couple of months or so later she came to my room and asked to talk and being that me and my roommate were cool and everything and I hadn't really gone out f the dorm I told her we could take a walk outside. Of course I listened to her. She told me about the fight she had with her friends and how they all turned against her so she was pretty much alone. I was nice enough and began to be there for her. I thought she would be right back with them in a day or so because they always fought anyway but that didn't happen. After that day me and her became inseparable and she somewhat became my rock through all the bullshit. We were there for each other.