Chapter 1: Flowery Mess

The Hanahaki disease is a fictional disease in which the victim coughs up flower petals when they suffer from one-sided love. It ends when the beloved returns their feelings (romantic love only; strong friendship is not enough), or when the victim dies. It can be cured through surgical removal, but when the infection is removed, the victim's romantic feelings for their love also disappear.

 It can be cured through surgical removal, but when the infection is removed, the victim's romantic feelings for their love also disappear

- Monday night -

"Before you I didn't believe in love. I never thought I'd even consider falling in love, but now for some reason I can't help but dig into my memories to see those golden eyes when they met my own. My heart can't help but ache knowing that you wouldn't return my feelings for you as you'd never smiled at me before..."

You read aloud as you carefully wrote in a small journal. Finishing, you closed your journal and placed it in the box under your bed.

It was late, eleven thirty to be exact. You were up finishing your homework when you felt like writing.

You stood up, stretching. Then you head to your bed, curled up in a comfortable position and drifted off to sleep.

...

- Tuesday -

You felt cool air envelope your being as you opened the gym doors, Yachi at your side.

Yachi and you are Karasuno's first year volleyball managers. Yachi had asked you to join with her— as you guys are good friends— and she didn't want to join alone.

You walk in to see the boys already practicing and your team's goddess, Kiyoko, standing by the bench waving you two over. You walk over to her before bowing.

"Ah, sorry for being late Kiyoko-senpai! Yachi and I had something to deal with back at our classroom."

"No need to apologize, Yachi and I will fill up the water bottles while you do what you normally do best and take notes." She smiled, handing you a clipboard before grabbing half of the water bottles and taking Yachi out back to refill them.

Sighing, you sit on the bench at the sidelines to take notes on the boys' progress and ability. Your eyes quickly drift to a certain blond beanpole as he barely jumps to block one of Hinata's slower spikes.

When they take a break you use this chance to bother said beanpole.

"Hey Tsukki, you did great during practice today." You gave a closed-eye smile as you made your way over to him and held out his towel.

"Thanks." A plain response.

"C'mon, don't be rude. Don't you have anything else to say?" You tried to wiped his face with the towel but he grabbed it to do it himself.

"What am I supposed to say?" he looked at you while wiping the back of his neck with the towel.

"I dunno, uh.." You thought for a while, only coming up with normal, everyday responses but what came out wasn't what everyone would call normal. "you love me?" You smiled. He blushed a little.

An often occurrence..

"No."

A common response.

This happens a lot. You jokingly express your feelings and he rejects them. He doesn't seem to realize these feelings are sincere and you don't mind since he doesn't seem too bothered by your constant nagging.

You love him.. so, so much. You love him even more than your love for tea. If only he could see that.

You pout at his retreating figure as he walks away to resume practice.

Suddenly, the feeling of throwing up caused you to leave the gym. You kneel outside as the feeling of something trying to get out of your throat got stronger. You already knew what was happening. The pain ceased when you coughed up two, bloody, purple petals.

This happened daily.

You'd cough up flower petals as a result of your one-sided love. You found this reason out a week ago.

"(Y/n)?"

You could hear rushed footsteps nearing you. Then a shaky voice spoke.

"D-did I see that right? Did y-you just c-cough up those flowers!?"

Yamaguchi? What was he doing out of practice?

You wiped your mouth with your sleeve as you watched him near and squat beside you. You sat down and scooted over to the wall, leaning on it.

"A-are you okay? Could this be- Hanahaki!?" You still felt pain in your throat as you tried to reply but opted to nod instead.

His eyes widen before he speaks again.

"Who's this person? Who did this to you?!"

There was a pause. No one spoke until he continued, this time without stutter.

"(Y/n), you're my friend. I care about you, just please tell me! We can get you help!" He begged.

More pauses, you hesitate.

"Fine, but I don't think you can help me..."

"I don't care! (Y/n), you're so very dear to me. I wanna help you!" He exclaimed, determined.

You whisper

"I-I'm sorry, what was that?"

"Tsukkishima. It's Tsukkishima." You whispered.

He froze. Tsukki? That's tuff

"It's hopeless isn't it. That's it, I'm gonna die!" You sulked, hands covering your face.

"N-no you won't! As promised, I'll help you!"

"You didn't actually promise-" He cut you off.

"Shh! Let me be brave just this once."

Purple Hyacinth - they symbolize sorrow