Chapter 3: A Little Game

- Thursday -

"There's roots on the bloody flowers now! Am I really gonna die before I can confess?"

...

"If you can't manage to block two of my spikes, then you have to give me a prize of my choice!" You quickly glanced at Yamaguchi as this was his idea. He gave you a thumbs up and you waited for Tsukkishima's answer.

"Wahh, you can play, (Y/n)-chan?!" You hear Hinata gasp. You nod. You practiced with Yamaguchi before of course but you also had played some in middle school. You were the second best in your class— I mean your classmates did suck a bit.

"Alright, easy. I bet you can't even play that well," Tsukkishima responded.

You walked onto the court, opposite side from Tsukki. "I'll give you four tries," you said. "And if we tie?" Tsukkishima questioned.

"Oh we won't." You said, surely you won't jinx yourself. He nods in return. "Whatever you say, twink." You furrowed your brows.

Yamaguchi watched from the side as Hinata tossed the ball up to Kageyama for him to set. When the ball reached him, you took a running start before leaping into the air. Seeing the ball infront of you, you slammed your hand down. You watched the ball fly pass Tsukki's surprised face and landed. You internally cheered as you saw the ball reach the floor.

"Whaaa, you weren't lying when you said you can spike! Bakageyama! Did you see that?!" Hinata gushed. You rubbed the back of your neck, and smiled. "Why would I have joined as a manager if I knew nothing of volleyball?" Kageyama nodded as he looked at Tsukkishima.

"Well would you look at that, shortcake can play," Tsukkishima muttered loudly. You blushed at the nickname. Shortcake... You bowed your head down to hide your smile.

"Okay, again! Give me another toss, Kageyama!"

"Yes!"

Again, Hinata tossed the ball to Kageyama, he set the ball perfectly so that it appeared right in front of you. You smacked the ball yet again and watched it fly pass Tsukkishima. You grinned.

"Ah! You looked so cool! You went pow and the ball went whoosh!" Hinata yelled. You blushed from his praise. Tsukkishima grit his teeth. "(Y/n)-chan, you're totally gonna win this easily!" Hinata shouted, grinning.

"Not so fast, I still get two more tries. What if I manage to block both of them?" Tsukki stared Hinata down. The corner of his agitated smile twitched.

"Well we don't have to worry about that because I already know (Y/n)-chan's going to win" Hinata stuck his tongue out. Tsukkishima let out his breath in a huff as he turned away.

You guys continued. Hinata sends the ball towards Kageyama and Kageyama sets to you. This time, you didn't hear the satisfying sound of the ball hitting the gym floor. Your eyes widened and you sucked in a breath as you saw that Tsukkishima had blocked it.

"What's wrong shortcake? I thought you could win this easily as the shrimp said," Tsukki stated, smirking. You frowned and clenched your hand.

"Once more!" You shouted as you turned to Kageyama. He nodded.

You closed your eyes, taking in a deep breath. Hinata throws the ball to Kageyama. You opened your eyes and remembered the practice you had with Yamaguchi the morning before. The ball reaches Kageyama and he swiftly sends the ball towards you. When you're just about to hit the ball, you see Tsukki jump to block you. You shut your eyes as you slam the ball down the hardest you can.

"..."

Slowly, you open your eyes. You look up to see the ball on...

Tsukkishima's side of the net!

Hooray~!

"Yay! (Y/n)-chan, we did it! Hah! Beat that you beanpole!" Hinata shouts as he jumps to high-five Kageyama. "Don't get so excited boke, you barely did anything."

Suddenly you felt... off. A look of realization hits you as you dash out of the gym and went to a nearby bush. Yamaguchi, worried, follows you.

You gag and well- vomit more bloody flowers as Yamaguchi pats your back.

Just your daily time to vomit some flowers. There were a lot more flowers and petals than yesterday. Some flowers were the same purple flowers you usually see, some were the yellow ones that you had recently started seeing, and the rest were a mix of red and a nice golden color.

The flowers were so beautiful, you considered making a damn flower crown out of them. You probably would have, if it wasn't for the blood.

You and Yamaguchi started to navigate to the front of the school as practice was practically over. He made small talk with you on your way, speaking about the little game you had with Tsukkishima. He didn't seem as happy as you expected him to be as it was his idea.

You guys bump into Tsukkishima by the gates. How did he get there so quick and when??Yamaguchi, being the great wingman that he is, excused himself to go home so you and Tsukki could be alone.

"Tsukkishima? Were you waiting here for us?"

He nodded. "I'm here to talk about your prize." You felt yourself feel nervous as you nodded back.

"Well? What do you want from me?" He asked.

You took in a deep breath before you spoke. "A date."

His eyes widened. "Suddenly, I'm deaf."

"UH, YOU- I'm not joking!"

He put on his headphones. "Mm, I can't hear you~"

"AGHH, YOU JERK, I JUST WANT A DATE!"

He looked you in the eyes.

"Seriously? With me?" You quickly nod.

"Well, a deals a deal." He calmly spoke, even though inside, he was freaking out just as much as you were.

"Really?!"

"Damn, if you're that excited then the date's today." He crossed his arms over his chest

"H-huh?"

"You heard me, let's go. Right now."

Marigold - they symbolize despair and grief