The New Transfer

It was an unpleasant morning, the skies were perfectly clear and the occasional chilly winds rattled the windows, the air inside the room was warm, inviting you to nod off. It really was an unpleasant morning.

It was Monday after a one week break because of the storm. Mondays always tend to get me down, I felt so sluggish that my body refused to move, but I forced it to move and go to the washroom.

Eyes still full of sleep, I stared at the mirror and saw a familiar silhouette stare back

...Yep, same as always

What stared back was a man who was filled with the desire to avoid school and to indulge in indolence forever. The face reflected on the mirror was more handsome than average even humbly speaking, all except the eyes. The eyes you saw on the face were the same you'd see on a rotting fish.

That's me, I am Hachiman Hikigaya.

It wasn't easy but I managed to drag my feet to the direction of the dining room, there I saw my little sister Komachi staring at the teakettle, our parents already had breakfast in an attempt to get ahead of the rush hour so the menu had already been laid. I dragged out a chair with a scrape and right then and there, the water reached the boiling point. Komachi pouring the hot water to the teapot glanced at me "Oh, morning, bro"

"Yeah, good morning." We exchanged greetings when I saw her still staring at me looking impressed "What is it?" It's a little uncomfortable when someone stares at you even if she's your cute little sister "it's nothing, it's just that people really do change for the better"

I tilt my head questioningly, was she making jokes about me this early in the morning? But what did I even do that she could quip about... "What do you mean?"

"You're actually awake! This early in the morning! That's worth 50 Komachi points!" She said with so much vigour you'd think it was something important, but she is right I'm usually not a morning person so I could see what she meant.

I pretended to give an exasperated sigh as I shook my head in an exaggerated manner "This early in the morning and your already at it with your antics... but I guess that's what makes Komachi"

She nodded in a way you'd see the old sages do in the Kung Fu movies in the past "That was nice! And for that you get 100 Komachi points!" She said all of this striking a peace pose, normally this would've been a hard to pull off pose but as she's super cute already she kinda made it seem easy. "Anyway let's eat breakfast and get to school"

"Okay." With her slippers pattering on the floor, she brought over tea. We sat in our seats and quietly said our thanks for the food.

I started to eat when I saw Komachi staring at me, I shot her a look when she finally started to talk. "Hey..."

"Hmm?" I made a short sound to let her know I was listening. "Is something bothering you bro?" She really is sharp, but I decided to play with her before giving an answer.

"Not at all, my existence in the school is like air, not even with the strongest impacts could you ever disturb it and if something happens, air wouldn't be bothered by it and just keep on existing"

I said all in one breath.

Komachi blinked. "Hey did you know?" I gave her an inquisitive look, she's not gonna go all detective on me is she? "know what?" I asked her but I was a little afraid of the answer.