Chapter 2

She walked towards her wardrobe and pulled out the first hoodie she saw, then some jeans. She got on her underwear then slipped into her clothes. She went to check her window, she could see the sunrise hiding just behind the trees in the distance, golden light already pooling in the empty sky. Her eyes quickly and scanned her surroundings, already knowing nobody would be there but still feeling a harmless need to check climbing out steadily. She pushed it open, quietly groaning as her weak limbs struggled to open the stiff rusty window. She began slowly climbing out, making sure her legs didn't give in at any time.

She dropped onto the roof below her feet, kneeling down as she waited to regain her strength before standing up again. Looking around, she walked over to where the bench was, she carefully dropped onto it and sprinted out towards the trees. She took a deep breath in, stinging her nose as her lungs were filled with fresh air. Her head began spinning, pain pulsating through her body. She crouched down and held her head as her stomach began to turn, she whimpered before the feeling was drained from her body, when she looked up the sun was slightly higher. She continued to run to the trees, only this time at a slightly slower pace. She peeked into the forest and saw the glistening water calmly waiting for her presence. She stealthily dodged the trees and walked to the small lake, she knelt on to the dew-covered grass, the droplets clinging to her legs.

She leant over and saw her reflection staring back at her, she dipped one finger into the water and a small ripple tore at the flawless surface. Smiling, she did it again with a little more force. She heard nature buzzing, creating a perfect melody to calm her racing thoughts. She sighed, watching her breath come out as a cloud of fog, she took her finger out of the water and rubbed it on her clothes to get off the droplets. The air gently blew, surfing the pristine water. It creased the surface and licked the ripples before diving deep into the pool of shadows.

She leant back further until her spine was pressed flat against the grass, she stared into the star-covered sky. It was a light grey colour that slowly turned to blue then a golden yellow, she followed the beautiful mix of colours until her eyes met with the glowing sun. The moon still hung like a luminous pearl with the scattered stars, it was a perfect display of the common sun and moon story. A tiny frog jumped onto her hand, alarmed by the feeling she looked down quickly. The small creature froze, it stayed still for multiple seconds until Brooke lifted her hand slightly and it jumped off.

Hours went by, she was left with the soothing voice of mother nature to heal her mental wounds until they were scars. The sun now shone brightly welcoming all eyes to gaze at its flawless glow that lit up the sky, the darkness now banished until night came again. People were starting to wake up now, she muttered her last goodbyes to nature before swiftly standing up and running back to her house. She skilfully moved between the trees, her house came into sight and she pushed herself harder for no apparent reason except from the thrill of feeling her heart pound in her chest reminding her she's alive. The only thing that reminds her she's alive, feeling the heat spread through her body into her finger tips, feeling her whole body pulsate as a sharp pain stabbed at her ribs. The rest of the time she felt like a walking corpse, an unwanted person that walks the earth for only peoples eyes to see, enjoying the freak show that they can express their rage on. The only thing that keeps her feet stuck to the poisonous world is the small rush of peace she feels when watching the light grow from the depths of the dark night. It gives her hope that she too can climb up from the darkness that contaminates her world.