Chapter 3

She pulled her body through her window and shut it quickly, crawling back into bed and pretending she had just woken from a deep slumber. As if on queue her mother knocked loudly on her hollow door.
"Brooke, are you awake?" she asked through the painted wood that keeps Brooke concealed from the world.

"Well it's hard to sleep through all the noise you're making," Brooke snapped.
Her mother mumbled something inaudible  whilst walking downstairs, 'great, another pointless day of wasted breathing,' Brooke thought to herself as her eyes focused on the ceiling she had seen a thousand times before. Her mind began wondering, she knew this wouldn't end well but she couldn't restrain herself. Old memories surfaced and familiar faces became visible, raw pain she had been suppressing for so long leaped to the front of her mind and poisoned her delicate heart.

Hot tears stung her eyes as she bit her lip, a single tear drop rolled down her face. It left a wet trail down her rosy cheek, that one tear held emotions so great it would make a person question how many screams have escaped her lips, how much rage lays dormant inside her, how much pain has escaped her dull eyes, how many cracks her young heart holds, how much death is trapped within her youthful body. If only someone could see the damage that's been done. There was a light tapping at the door before a soft voice spoke
"Brooke? Are you okay?" Her sister, Sydney, asked.

"Yes Sydney I'm fine, now leave me alone," Brooke spat.
There was a pause of silence before light footsteps padded away, guilt seeped into her heart as she thought about how harshly she turned away her sister's caring words but she'd never admit it. She forced her eyes close and tried to relax her body, the thought of sleep filling her mind. Her body had no intention of sleeping so she had to lay still for half an hour before she found sleep gently guiding her into her dreams.