Chapter 6.5 - Talina

They sprang apart, even though they hadn't been close enough to be touching.

"I see you made good time, Commander," Admiral Zivali said. She strode in with her hands behind her back, her helmet retracted. A thin smile touched her lips as she turned to formally face Jonas. "Permission to come aboard, Captain Krayle."

"Permission granted," Jonas said. He sounded strangled, the muscles bunched in his neck. He took a breath and let it out again. "Thank you, Admiral Zivali, for coming to our aid."

The admiral made a slow circuit of the office, inspecting the damage. She crunched plastis under her boots. "Talina, I'm grateful you survived the drop intact."

Talina's nails dug into her palms. What was that supposed to mean? That statement should have gone without saying.

"You as well, Captain Krayle," her mother added. She stopped. "I was en route to detach your ship from the Fifth Fleet when I heard the translight screech. I can't say I'm pleased it was your ship in danger, but I'm glad I'm the first to offer assistance."

Jonas nodded stiffly. "Thank you again, Admiral." He hesitated. "Did Admiral Seonu send other ships back for repairs?"

The admiral waved a hand. "Yes, a support ship and escorts will be here in two hours. My engineer estimates that you'll have your ship running on half power within the day, and two days for full propulsion capabilities. You can make minor repairs along the way. I'm authorizing you to burn maximum fuel on the way to Andavar."

"Andavar?" Jonas asked. "The Fifth Fleet is on sector patrol--"

"The mining system?" Talina asked. She struggled to sort out her mother's hurricane of words. Andavar was a trade hub full of resource-rich, but otherwise uninhabitable, planets. Many of the parts in her engine room were stamped from Andavar manufactories. Was this another insult? Her mother saying she'd so badly damaged the Spar it needed to go straight to where they manufactured its components?

"I'm attaching your ship to my task force, which will consist of your light cruiser and my yacht. Before you ask, Captain, yes I've cleared it with Admiral Seonu. This mission is best carried out without the extravagance of the Fifth Fleet." She smiled tightly. "There is a known Resistance cell from Hale on its way to Andavar. We will intercept them there." She glanced at Talina. "As long as repairs are completed in time."

Talina stiffened. "They will be."

"Good. I'll move myself and my staff into guest quarters."

"Here?" Talina blurted.

The admiral gave her a flat stare. "Your comms are down, Tal. It isn't convenient to send messengers back and forth between ships, and I'd rather detach my yacht from your airlock sooner than later. You never know when pirates might be lurking. Or the Resistance."

Her mother's gaze rested a hair too long on Jonas.

Talina felt a chill. It almost outweighed the burning knot in her stomach.

"Very good," the admiral said. "I'll leave you to coordinate your damage control. Thank you for your hospitality, Captain Krayle."

She breezed out before they could even offer salutes.

Her presence lingered in the silence. Jonas drummed his fingers again while Talina struggled to gather her thoughts.

"So," she said. "So. You say we have a Resistance saboteur onboard. Then you tell me there's Resistance dirt in your past, and my mother shows up and wants us to hunt the Resistance. Is that a pattern, Jonas? Can you please tell me this is coincidence?"

"She's testing me," Jonas spat. But his voice shook, just a little.

The chill in Talina's gut got colder.

"Jonas, who are your parents?"

He shook his head. "It doesn't matter."

Talina stepped closer. "Jonas. Who are your parents?"

----------------

Thank you for reading! If you would like to be notified of updates, please add this book to your library. If you liked what you read, please vote with the little star button up in the corner. And I love comments and feedback, I'd love to hear what you think!