eight

Soon, Zara comes back, and she sets a hand on Obi-Wan's shoulder. "Master Kenobi," she says softly, "I must speak with you...in private. It's urgent, we must speak immediately."

 She ushers him out of the room, and down a dark hallway towards the rooms they're staying in while they're here.

 "I must speak with you," she says in a hushed tone and a smirk creeps over Obi-Wan's face.

 "Oh, I bet you do," he says, his hands falling to her waist.

 But she moves them away. "Obi...I'm serious, it's been five years since I saw you last and I haven't gotten a single moment alone with you. Alone alone, not slow dancing as your Padawan watches from afar."

"Anakin..." he mutters. "Hopefully, he doesn't get himself into too much trouble."

 "Now," Zara mumbles, sitting down on the floor outside her room, and gesturing for him to do the same, "let's talk."

 Obi-Wan doesn't know what he should say. Just being around Zara Sidereus made his brain all foggy. "Well," he begins, sitting down next to her, "there's a rumor of war一"

 "No, no," Zara shakes her head. "No politics today. Master Titan wouldn't have wanted us discussing war at his funeral."

 The word 'funeral' still feels a bit odd to use when discussing her Master.

 "So what shall we talk about then?" Obi-Wan asks.

 She leans over and adjusts the collar on his robes. "You," she says simply.

"Zara...I've already told you everything," he explains. "There's nothing else for me to say."

 "I don't want to hear about training your Padawan...or the Jedi Council...I want to hear about you. Now tell me," she begins, lifting a hand up to strawberry locks, "how do you get your hair so perfect?"

 Her hand travels downwards, and her knuckles brush over his cheek bones. Raising her other hand, she continues. "And how did you know that I was going to absolutely adore this?"

 At 'this,' she slightly tugs on the Jedi's beard, and Obi-Wan lets out a soft sigh.

 "Well一" he begins, but he's cut off by Zara fully leaning over and capturing his lips in a quick kiss. "I thought you wanted to talk?" he chuckles.

 "Oh, it seems that I just can't help myself when I'm around you."

"Mmm," he hums. "I can't seem to decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing..."

 She tugs on his beard again and mutters something he doesn't catch.

 But when Obi-Wan leans over to kiss her again, she stands up. "Come," she says, taking a step backward.

 Where was she leading him? "Not back to the party, I hope," he worries aloud, and she shakes her head.

 "No, no, of course not. I've gotten hardly any time with you," she says, her hands moving to the wall behind her.

 She presses a button, and the door slides open. Zara gestures for Obi-Wan to follow, and he gladly jumps up, trailing after her.

 But when she sets him down on the bed, she doesn't climb in his lap; She doesn't kiss down his neck, leaving marks that he'll have to hide from his Padawan; She just admires him.

 Looks him up and down with those twinkling eyes that haunt his dreams.

 "Master Kenobi..." she finally says, earning a shiver from the touch starved man sitting on the bed.

 She leans closer to him, feeling his breath quicken, before brushing her lips over his.

 Obi-Wan Kenobi is a grown man, he's kissed Zara Sidereus on many occasions, but something about this kiss in particular knocks the wind out of him.

 It's so simple, so quick, it wasn't even the first kiss of the night, and yet, here he was, almost gasping for air as his lover admires him with kind eyes.

Lover. The word summed her up perfectly.

 The word itself was just absolutely splendid, so affectionate, so personal. And to use it to describe the woman before him was an honor he could barely even begin to understand.

 She was beautiful, and passionate, and oh so intelligent. She could be having this secret love affair with any number of men in the galaxy, and yet, here she was. Tucked away in a dark room with him.

 Zara Sidereus was ethereal, and Obi-Wan hoped that she knew this.

 And if she didn't, well, then he was sure he was going to remind her of it over and over again until she wakes up in the morning and tells herself so.

 "You're divine," he trembles.

 She kissed him in response, sinking into him. Fitting together like a puzzle that took too long to finish.

 His hands fall to her waist, holding her steady on his lap as her hands find their place on his face. Zara's palms rest on his cheeks, his beard tickling her as the kiss endures. Her thumbs circle his temples, and she pulls away to let out a soft sigh.

 "What is it?" Obi-Wan buzzes, his eyes opening slowly as if he's waking from a dream.

 And in a way, he almost is. Because the way that she's admiring him through hooded eyes, the way her hands are still holding him, the way the floral scent fills the room, none of it could be real. He had to be dreaming.

 "I love you," she simpers.

 Obi-Wan kisses her again. Setting his forehead against her own, he tells her, "I love you too."

(this is my favorite chapter, i think)