nine

The next morning, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Zara awake in each other's arms. Tangled together like vines, neither of them wanting to leave.

 But alas, "Anakin will be looking for me," Obi-Wan sighs, kissing her temple. "I'm sorry, my love," he apologizes. "If I could stay here for the rest of my life, I would without hesitating."

 "Go," she tells him. "We'll see each other again, I'm positive of that."

 One last kiss, and then the Jedi Master is climbing out of the bed. He pulls his robes back on and slips out of the room quietly, heading off to find his Padawan.

 Not too long after, there's a knock on Zara's door. "Master?" Nash Asteriscus' voice says from the other side.

 "One moment," she calls, climbing out of the bed and pulling her robes on just as Obi-Wan did.

 She opens the door, and she's almost sure she looks a mess, having only woken up how many minutes ago.

 "Nash," she smiles sleepily.

 "We've been invited to breakfast," her old apprentice explains before she can even ask what he needs.

 "'We'?"

 "Yes," he nods. "By Padawan Anakin Skywalker...meaning his Master is going to be there too." He hides his smirk as Zara yawns.

 "What time?"

 He tells her when, and she excuses herself to get ready.

 "I'll be in my room whenever you're ready," he says before the door shuts.

 And as she and Nash walk down to wherever breakfast was going to be, he tells her, "I heard a rumor that the Jedi Council is sending us on a mission together."

 "They are?" Her jaw briefly drops. It wasn't exactly shocking, but she was still somewhat surprised.

 "I believe it's due to the fact that we're both back on Coruscant," he explains. "Apparently, we're going to be called to the Temple sometime later today."

 "Well, it'll be a treat to work with you again," she smiles.

 Breakfast is nice. They wouldn't ever admit it aloud, but Nash and Anakin planned it together solely to ensure that their Jedi Masters would be able to see each other once again before they had to split for how many years.

 There's lots of flirty glances, along with laughing too hard at jokes that aren't exactly funny. And even though they're both mature adults, they spend the morning blushing like Younglings.

"You're really leaving," a voice says from Zara's doorway.

 She and Nash had been called to the Jedi Temple for information on their new mission. They were supposed to be there by the end of the afternoon, meaning they had to pack up right about now to make it there in time.

 When Zara turns around, Obi-Wan is standing in her doorway with a fake-pout on his face.

 "I'm sorry, my love," she says, stepping over to hold his face in her hands.

 His eyes close and he sighs, moving his hands up to cover hers on his face. "I'll miss you," he breathes.

 "I'll miss you too, of course," she smiles. Zara gets up on her tiptoes to place a handful of kisses across his nose and cheeks, and then a single kiss on his forehead. "But I promise you we'll meet again."

 Obi-Wan helps her pack up her things, and walks his secret lover to her ship where Anakin Skywalker and Nash Asteriscus are already waiting for them.

 The hangar is empty except for the four of them, as most of the guests to the funeral are already long gone.

 "Good luck," Anakin tells Nash and Zara after their bags are on the ship.

 "Thank you, Anakin," she smiled, turning to Obi-Wan. "I guess this is where we say goodbye." Without hesitating, Obi-Wan pulled Zara in for a hug.

 He's pulled back to twelve years ago. Pulled back to when Zara came back from a mission with Master Elio Titan. Pulled back to the way Zara held his robes tight. Pulled back to when they shared their first kiss.

 "Goodbye, Zara," he breathes into her hair, inhaling her floral scent, not knowing when he'll smell it again.

 "Goodbye, Obi-Wan." She pulls him closer, wrapping her arms tightly around his waist; The two of them completely forgetting their students watching awkwardly.

 Finally, they must break away from the hug as Nash reminds Zara they need to get to the Temple by a certain time.

 So again, Zara says, "Goodbye, Obi-Wan."

 And then it's his turn to say, "We will meet again, I promise."

 She pulls him in for one more quick hug, and when she pulls away from that one, "And if we don't, then I promise to meet you in my next life."

 After leaving a soft kiss on his cheek, she turns to head onto the ship, leaving Obi-Wan standing in awe.

 He and his Padawan stand there watching the ship take off. Who knows when he'll see her again.

 "Master, if you don't mind me asking, why did you let her leave so easily?" Anakin asked. "She said it herself, you might never meet again."

 Obi-Wan knew there was the chance he'd never see Zara again. But being a Jedi, that was just something he had to live with.

 "Aren't you happy together?" Anakin added.

 "Oh, my Padawan," Obi-Wan chuckled as they watched the ship leave for good, the kiss still burning fresh on his cheek. "I have to let her go, it's in her name: Sidereus..." he trails off. "She belongs to the stars."

END OF SHE BELONGS TO THE STARS. AN OBI-WAN KENOBI FANFICTION.