Chapter 28: Shifting Realities

While Harry's world was shifting, Hermione's was shattered. Things had not been the same since last year, when the appearance of Voldemort changed her life. She had never felt fear like that. She was held by Professor McGonagall as her boyfriend chanted that it couldn't be real, that he couldn't be back. She remembered the feeling of the madness, the fury, the cruelty and the rage that were radiated from the man. How it was suffocating and intoxicating at the same time. Intellectually she knew what it was.

In her readings the year before, she had stumbled across something called emotional magical resonance. When magic comes in constant contact with emotion, such as when a magical uses magic regularly, their personality and emotions leave an imprint of their identity in the magic itself. She remembered Professor Babbling stating that was why most wizards who were considered traditionally powerful were terrible at Runes. The emotional imprint messed with the intent of the runic based magic. It was why a wizard like Grindlewald was so... fascinating to her.

Yet when she studied the subject more, she discovered that emotional magical resonance was something rather common, except most were unable to make others feel it. As Voldemort attacked her best friend, the wind screaming with his malice and intent, she knew the world would never be the same.

She watched in awe as the suffocating weight of hatred and malice that she was feeling from Voldemort was replaced. Replaced with a weight of magic that she had never experienced. It was as if she was suddenly in a higher gravity well. She watched in awe and shock as her best friend, a fourteen year old, dueled Darkest Wizard in Britain and forced him to retreat.

Afterward scared her as well. Watching the now strongest wizard she had met force himself to move to a woman who had committed murder while under the Imperius Curse and hold her close as she cried, was going to be one of the biggest moments of her life. It was then she decided that this world would never be the same.

She started with what she knew best, research. She had been studying wizarding law since after second year since apparently, she had no rights to anything while petrified. It was then she discovered something that she swore to change. Unless it was expressed in the law, the wizarding world assumed it was not a valid stance. For example, in no law is there a mention of the petrified status as a protected state, thus it went unprotected under the Magical Effects and Situations Act of 1300. That law was the one that allowed families to protect their fortunes, their memories and even more from others.

Essentially, she could have been mind raped by anyone in the Hospital Wing and legally there was not a thing she could do about it. In fact, due to being muggleborn, she was less likely to even find a lawyer who would take a case for her, she was unlikely to get a fair trial, unlikely to receive an nonbiased judge and unlikely to even have the case seen, no matter the case baring something that she did something wrong.

Had any country do it differently? Did any country have muggleborn rights? Have equal rights at all?! These were the questions that Hermione asked herself as she continued her research in her third year. There she discovered the Sicilian Republic from 1937-1962. Nearly three decades of equality for all magicals. Regardless of bloodstatus, the Sicilian Republic supported it's citizens fairly, equitably and most importantly, did so without bloodshed. It wasn't the only one either. There were dozens of governments from the late 1930s to the 1960s that held that model.

A model that Grindlewald created. When it clicked for her, she swore off those thoughts. She would never support a mad man like Grindlewald. She would not support a man so desperate as to wage war on the world.

Then she saw Harry and Voldemort duel and realized that for some wizards... a war against the world was not a fight they found impossible.

Hermione left her first Magical Combat class with Nicolas Flamel with a look Ron recognized on her face. It was the look that screamed she needed the library, so it was with a slightly melancholy smile that he pulled her towards her favorite place. He would never allow it be said that he didn't know his girl, and what she needed right now was not to be coddled or held.