New Friends

~Fire on fire would normally kill us~

It had been many months now and the latest gossip was that Peter and Katniss were engaged, good for them but can someone tell me who actually fucking cares? Like we get it you both survived please don't keep us updated on your stupid shit. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't typically care but to have the nerve to show it off at my District when Tara and Zachs families are morning the loss of their family, I get it is capital wishes, but that is just low. Every part of me wishes I hate them but I can't, it was always Snow's fault and I need to remember this.

Cashmere, Johanna and I waited for Finnick to get ready. Somehow this boy took longer than us but that didn't matter. He walked out of his room and into our shared dorm room. Johanna, Finnick, and I had moved to Panem to be there for Cash as we could see she needed her friends after her daughters death, even if she did not care to admit it. It hurt not being able to see my old friends but it was for their protection, nobody else was getting hurt because of me.

"Got a staring problem Princess?"

"You wish Fishy boy."

I looked at him again, he was perfect. From the way he smiled to the way his hair fell perfectly on his face. All this pain and terror he had gone through and he still managed to look like an angel. Cashmere and Johanna had gone ahead of us as they were attending the 'party' as a couple. Finnick puts his arm out for me to link and I scoff but do it making him smirk at me, such a perfect smirk. He hadn't done much with himself wearing the shell necklace I made him, green pants, and a half done up white top but even then he looked great.

"Take this how you like but you're going to be the best dressed there. Even in your stupid sneakers."

I rolled my eyes at his complement but couldn't help the small smile that was edged at my mouth. As we caught up with Cashmere and Johanna we looked at all the photos of the dead tributes... my two tributes and even worse, Cashmeres own daughter. My smile dropped immediately when I saw the two winners but came back automatically when I saw the sponsors. A part of me had never trusted Snows speech when he told us we would be safe and free forever and that part of me was always going to be right because as long as he ruled, he had the power to kill my friends, my family. I feel a hand rub my back and I look towards Finnick who was just staring at the photo of Zach, we had mentored the young boy together. I took a glance at Tara and smiled softly the only memory I had of her was when she told me she wishes I could mentor her but for some reason Snow was against this and only let Mags. 

"Lets get this over and done with."

The other three nodded at my comment as we all walked straight to the bar. We stood around there just joking around and talking to each other, a part of me felt normal but that would never be possible. Many sponsors came up telling us about how they had wished for us to win, how fucking cruel. Cashmere and I had gone over to talk to Caesar about Glosses death which was just such an absolutely lovely conversation luckily for the two of us Haymitch had come over to wish his condolences. 

"Your daughter truly was good. I don't know how these two made it through."

"Haymitch those are your tributes you're talking about."

"Yes Cash but I've seen how you fight, how both of you fight. Your daughter had two amazing role models and I say this in the only sober state I can."

Cashmere hugged Haymitch and I did the same. He may be a drunk asshole but without him I don't know what I would do. Mags came over with Finnick and I could swear I watched him look at him checking me out, maybe I'm just delusional. Mags and Haymitch hugged each other as Finnick threw his arm over my shoulder and this made me think. The victors party was the only time most of us were this close, don't get me wrong we are a very close group but not hugging close.

"I'm going to steal Y/n for a dance but we will see you guys later."

Finnick and I twirled and danced for hours letting the music play through our bodies as if nothing had ever happened to us and all the fears we once had were gone. It wasn't until Snow started speaking that my eyes broke the lock we had. Everything was silent again. Finnick dropped one of my hands but kept the other one locked. I looked towards Snow and it was like my reaping all over again. Everyone around me I loved and one over powered man in control of us all. I looked at Finnick in fear and a part of me felt calmer when I saw he was already looking at me.  I then felt a hand on my shoulder and turned to see Cashmere and Johanna, my family was here, and I was safe.