Chapter 1

The Hollingsworth Home.

Oh how Evelyn hated that place.

That place was a painful reminder that her parents had died, though she had no memory of how that happened.

She was just a baby at that time.

Now, she was an 11 year old, she was a brunette, and with sapphire eyes to top it off, she definitely looked unique, another reason why she couldn't fit in.

But worse, she had no friends there, she was always an outcast, whether she liked it or not.

The only thing that made her smile there was the teachers and the nuns, all of them were very nice to her.

Well, all....except good old Mr. Smith.

He was a bespectacled man, with brown hair, and wrinkles all over his face.

Evelyn hated him, almost everyone did.

He gave the nastiest scowls and glares, always giving others punishments, but for Evelyn, he would always give the worst of them all.

Evelyn had heard from the older kids that he had come not long after she had arrived.

It was all very strange that Mr. Smith applied for the job after she came.

Besides, he was the worst and weirdest teacher that Evelyn had ever had.

Sometimes, when she was reading her textbook in front of him, he would mutter,"Stupid information. This isn't true....Humans..." and she would look at him and he would snap back,"What are you looking at? Continue reading!"

And she would obey his order, because what else could she do?

Certainly not snap back.

The other weird thing?

When it was raining and the other students were busy having lessons, he would make her stand out in the rain for 30 minutes, and make her wear a winter coat during summer.

She knew she would have caught several chills while she was getting soaked by the rain, but strangely, she would feel warm, and comfortable, and while she was outside wearing that stupid winter coat in the hot sun?

She would feel cool, no matter how strong the sun was shining.

Also, during lunch, whenever the lunch ladies would give her a glass of water, Mr. Smith would glare at them and give her....another glass of water? But it was strangely salty, and it filled her with energy.

And there she was now, at lunchtime, blankly staring at the white walls of the cafeteria while everyone ate.

"Hey, you okay?"A boy asked her.

She spun around, only to face her one and only crush-

Ace Scott.

Sure, his name was stupid, but he totally made up for it by helping other people, giving people warm smiles and he was one of the few people that actually cared about others, and that was one reason Evelyn like him.

Ace had blonde, curly hair with brown eyes and he always made Evelyn's heart flutter.

"Nothing..." Evelyn said.

"Come on, I've known you since you came in Hollingsworth. Something is bothering you."

Evelyn turned so red she was sure he could see it. "Okay, fine. It's just weird. Mr. Smith always asked me to drink some kind of salty water that makes me feel energised."

"But he's been doing that since you were born. Isn't that normal for you now?" Ace asked.

"No. It's still strange. Plus, he wants me stand out in the rain and put on a winter coat during summer. Is he crazy or something?"

"Maybe. Are you free today?"

Was he asking her to hang out with him?

Evelyn brushed her long hair "Maybe, I-"

"Evelyn, there is a parcel for you!"A nun, called Miss Adelyn shouted.

A parcel? For her? She didn't know anyone outside the orphanage.

Everyone's eyes were on her as Miss Adelyn gave her the parcel, it was a small box, but it was a little heavy.

Evelyn took a deep breath as she opened it, could it be a teddy bear? So far, teddy bears were rare around here.

When she finally lifted off the cover, she saw a glittering thing, shining.

It was a ring.