One: The Magical Entry

My alarm clock goes off, and I can't help but let out a massive groan. The lights that flood through my window are just another reminder that today is where the almighty reunion is bound to happen. It is only a matter of time before I will once again be the not-so-new-girl. 

Granted I don't look very similar to, oh, that same old girl eight-something years ago, but that didn't mean people will not recognize me. Though, I really hope everyone has no recollection of me. It won't be that hard, right?

I sluggishly go through my morning routine, brushing my teeth, doing my hair, choosing out an outfit, all the fun stuff. I decide on a gray wool sweater, navy blue skinny jeans, and my old tattered sneakers. If something ain't broke, then why not use them? 

I slang my backpack over my shoulder and head towards the direction of the kitchen. When I enter, I see the twins eating two bowls of lucky charms, and the dog, Lucky, chomping down on his thing of dog food. I've been with the Johnson's for a week, and they really aren't that bad. Not that I like them in the slightest, but I find them manageable. They respect my space, and I keep my distance. 

"Goodmorning, Taylor!" Mrs.Johnson says in her familiar sing-song voice. I mentally cringe at her overall cheery attitude. I am not a morning person in the slightest, and, not to mention, she is always just a little too happy. 

"Good morning, ma'am." 

"Oh, I told you to call me Linda. The word ma'am just makes me feel so old."

"Yes, Mrs.Linda." Linda huffs a little bit before giving up the fight. I would attempt to call her by her actual name, but I have been taught, somewhat forcefully, to always address your elders with respect. 

"Would you like oatmeal, cereal, or waffles?" 

"I am good, thank you."

"But, you have to eat, Taylor. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day after all." I look at her dead in the eyes and mouth the word "no." She seems a little bit discouraged but continues to keep a bright smile on her face. 

I seat myself on the couch as Lucky finishes his meal and waltzes over to meet me. We share a look, and I can find a small smile gracing my face. He leans his head toward me, and I scratch behind his big, fluffy ears. His tongue reaches down as the pure look of euphoria enlightens his eyes. 

I retract my hand and let the time pass. Lucky and I continue to exchange glances as the twins finish their meals and alas, get ready for school.

We quickly pack into Linda's Cadillac Escalade, and she throws on some quiet tunes while the twins chit-chat in the background. I gaze out the window and rest my head in my hands. I attempt to blur out the impending doom in my future, but without a doubt, my heart knows what is bound to happen. 

We arrive at the high school entrance where I quickly find groups of teenagers huddled around, some talking, some smoking, and others just walking. We quickly reach the front of the line, and I find my stomach dropping to the ground. Is this really going to happen? 

"Alrighty, Taylor. I will be back to meet you at three-fifteen sharp. Have a good ---" I open and close the door before she even got a chance to finish her sentence. I didn't want to be rude, but I have honestly heard this same speech god knows how many times, and I despise it. They will be nice for a week and eventually turn their back on me. That's how it always works. 

I could feel the betrayed stare on my back as Linda drives away. I glare at the school's entrance with intimidation staring back at me. This has been the school I have looked forward to during my entire elementary school life; it is always where the big kids went, and every single child admired its pure beauty.