Chapter 8

(TIME JUMP: End of the school year)

"Where are we going?" I ask Justin. He has his hands over my eyes and he is leading me somewhere.

"I have a surprise I want to show you. We are almost there. I'm going to move my hands but keep your eyes closed until further notice." He moves his hands away from my eyes.

"Yes sir." I comply and keep them closed. I smile at all the suspense.

"Okay and OPEN!" he shouts as he shows me a letter of approval for YALE. His dream college.

We are now jumping in his living room and hugging, "I am so proud of you Justy!"

"I am proud of me too! I mean I worked my ass off this entire school year. Plus, I knew they were dying to have me as a student." He smirks cockily. "YALE class of 2020 here I come!"

"I hope I will be there with you too!" I say quietly.

"I'm sure you will. You're a genius. Yale would be stupid to not have us both."

He got into his dream college. It's not really a surprise I know he is smart and determined. I am really happy for him. I even look happy on the outside but I will miss him when he leaves. He has worked so hard this year with no distractions of love for either of us. After the night that we sat in my driveway together, laughing like lunatics, we realized that we both need to worry about our education right now. I also want to get into Yale and I can't do that worrying about relationships and boys.

Justin and I made a pact that relationships weren't for us this year. Of course, I happily agreed to that since it meant I could still have these feelings for him and it gives me a chance to try and understand them. I could also be sure he wasn't going out with any girls. All of our problems were because of relationships we were trying to make happen. I told Dean that right now just wasn't a good time for me and that I needed to focus on my education. He was very understanding about it. He is so kind to me. Once I get my life straight who knows? He may be the one for me. I think he is even thinking about applying to Yale.

This year was a year for just Justin and I. The whole year was us having fun as best friends. We went on so many adventures. Focused on bettering our grades and choosing colleges. We dressed up as Peter Pan and Wendy for our school's Halloween dance and we won the costume contest.

For Christmas, our families got together as usual. Justin and I went on top of his roof that night and looked up at the stars. We talked about what we wanted our futures to be like and all of our goals. We talked about him wanting to major in business and how he wants to start his own company.

The new year came and Mrs. Sherry invited me to Montana with them at her father's ski lodge. Like I would say no to that. Justin taught me how to ski and watched me fall a lot. He always helped me up.

In May we celebrated Justin's birthday and I kissed him as soon as he blew out the candles. I couldn't help myself. It was dark and no one saw. He has no idea who did it and I swear I'll never tell. The end of the year got closer and went to his prom together, as friends, of course. No surprise he was prom king. Towards the end of the night, he put the crown on me and we danced that night away.

Finally, the day I was dreading came. After our year of fun, it was time. He had to graduate and leave me. He graduated two days ago. I screamed louder than anyone else did when he got his diploma. I may have lost my voice that day as well. Justin made me some tea and we watched movies that whole night. He reassured me saying we would talk every night and he'd tell me about everything. He promised to try and stick to our pact and while it made my heart happy, I told him that he didn't half to. Our pact was for this year. I know he may meet someone there. There will be so many new people and faces. They will love him just as I do.

I had all this time to think about where we stand. To think about how I feel about him as friends and as more than friends. I have come to one painfully simple conclusion: I am in love with him. It isn't really a surprise to me though. I think I always knew I wanted it to be us in the end.

However, I don't think the next year coming will be as easy for us as this one was. It will be his first year of college and my senior year of high school. Even though we don't want it to change things between us, it will be hard being away from each other. Not to mention all of the new challenges I'm sure we will come across.

A lot of things can change in that amount of time. We can change. Who knows who we'll become in that time, or who we will meet or even how we will feel? I know how I feel right now. I love him. I love that boy with every fiber of my being. He is my best friend and the other half of my heart. I just can't tell him this yet.

To conclude my experiment theory FOR NOW: Can good girls can change bad boys? Yes. Absolutely.

Side note: I also discovered bad boys can change good girls and make us fall for them. Even if the variables of said experiment didn't end up dating it was still a good outcome.

Justin has changed drastically this year. He went from being the guy who needed a new date every weekend and a new girlfriend every week; to focusing on schoolwork and being an amazing best friend. I saw sides of him physically and emotionally. Sides I didn't even think he had.

My next experiment will be an even better one though. I am calling it! I am not done yet. This will be the best one yet! The more mature theory too less high school. More drama and maybe some scandal or sex. Okay here it is:

Can Best Friends Change to Lovers?