Resident Prince Charming ⚜ Ch. 2

A first year knight student was staring at the expensive checkered board, trying to wrap their mind around the strategy. "Rook to E5." Two of his friends looked over his shoulder, intently watching.

Mark was also trying to concentrate on the game, but Milica was sitting on the arm of the chair playing with his hair. "Bishop to E5." He whispered, "My lady, you are exceptionally good at distraction."

"Am I?" she purred.

"Knight to B6. You see that I was setting up that move? I knew your King would have to move, so now you're trapped between my knight and bishop," the prince explained.

"Uh huh," the knight nodded, but it was obvious the light hadn't gone on yet. 

"Let's try this," Marc said, rearranging the pieces. "Your goal will be to trap my king with two of your pieces, alright?"

One of his friends moved forward. "Can I try?"

"Sure." Marc got up, as did a reluctant Milica.

"I'll catch you later," she said, kissing his cheek.

He returned the gesture. "Bye darling. Now, where were we?"

"What if I used the bishop here, then blocked you this way. No, that wouldn't work. Your pawn would get me. Hm..."

As the first years considered the game - and why they had to play it to begin with - Marc's mind wandered. Looking around the common area, he saw a familiar face.

"Would you excuse me for a moment?" He crossed the room and approached the girl. "Might I interrupt?"

Ardenne looked over the top of her book, seeming surprised to be bothered. "Oh, Prince Marc. Hello."

"I hope your book wasn't too damaged by my clumsiness earlier."

She shook her head. "No, thankfully not." Raising a brow, she teased quietly, "Is Pride and Predjudice really more interesting than chess?"

He sat in the adjacent chair and nodded. "I happen to enjoy both, however after two hours trying to teach chess, I confess Pride and Predjudice sounds especially appealing."

The princess chuckled. "I see. Tell me then, what do you like about it?"

"Well, Elizabeth for a start. Her independence and sass are rather gratifying. Then there's Darcy and Jane, who give hope to us introverts that love is really possible for us," he joked. "When it comes down to it, I just like the story of two very different people falling in love with each other in completely different ways."

She smiled thoughtfully. "You think of yourself as Darcy?"

"Who do you think of yourself as?" he questioned.

"Well, I don't know. Maybe Jane, though not as pretty," she replied.

He furrowed his brow. "What are you talking about? You're lovely, Princess. I doubt that I'd be the first to tell you so, either."

She blushed. "Oh, well, actually you would be. I-I mean are."

Leaning closer he asked, "Is there someone you'd prefer to say it?"

Her eyes widened. "Do you mean..."

"Yes," he grinned. "Are you carrying a torch for anyone?" Her eyes drifted to the room behind him, giving him his answer. "Do I have to guess?" he teased.

She smiled shyly and shrugged. "Well, um, I guess I sort of like Lucien of Monaco."

Marc nodded. "He is certainly strong. I've been unfortunate enough to be on the unprepared end of his football throw."

Ardenne giggled. "Oh?"

"I'm surprised he didn't go to the Knights Academy. But perhaps things worked out this way for a reason." He winked, and stood to return to the chess table. "I'll leave you to your book, Princess. And rest assured, your secret is safe with me."