The Amulets of Mertiaten ⚜ Ch. 8

Baltazar looked back at Camillio before going forward, not entirely comforted because of his altered appearance. He looked around the stone to make sure the class had moved on far enough, then crept forward. Holding his breath, he tapped one of the indentations in the snow and gasped as the ground gave way beneath him. Before he had time to cry out, he found himself in total darkness. A moment later, Camillio was sliding down into the cavern beside him.

"You okay?" he called out into the blackness.

Cam groaned and used Bal's shoulder to get to his knees. "I'm fine, you?"

"Great. Just great." Now that he was away from the class, he pulled out his wand. "Illuminato."

"Illuminato."

Their combined lights were enough to cast away some of the murky darkness. In the cavern they found themselves in, it quickly became evident that there was only one way in and out. The floor was littered with broken stone in precarious positions. Who knew how much of the roof those pieces were holding above them? He didn't want to find out.

"What do we do now?" Camillio asked.

"We search for the altar," Bal answered definitively.

His voice betrayed his fear. "Okay. Just don't touch anything."

Holding their wands out, they walked along the collapsed and cracked floor. Towards the end, there was a large crack that seemed to open up into another dark space. Curious, Baltazar knelt and held the light out. In the darkness, he could see a skull.

"Ah!"

"You okay?"

His heart was pounding fast, and he reminded himself to watch his footing - he didn't want to see that any closer than he had to. "I think when the roof collapsed, it cracked the foundation all the way down to the catacombs."

Camillio grinned. "Wicked."

Definitely not wicked, Baltazar thought. Moving forward, he saw a square piece of stone in the space ahead. Squeezing carefully through, he saw that the stone was cracked in the back. Just beneath it looked like a metal box. "Hey, I found something. Try to come towards my light."

He reached down and hoped it wasn't a casket as he fumbled for a handle.

"What is it?"

"Come help, it's too big to get out by myself."

Camillio knelt beside him and reached under the cracked rock. "I think I've got a handle. Try the other side."

There. His fingers hooked on a handle and together they pulled the box out from the space under the altar. "Do you think..."

His eyes were wide. "We have to look."

Nodding, Baltazar put his wand in his mouth and convinced his hands to try the lid. It was locked. Taking his wand again, he muttered, "Release."

The lock clicked, echoing in the dark space. As he opened the lid, he gasped.

They were not expecting this.

Treasure.

Inside the shallow box was a diadem, pearls, prayer beads with ivory crosses, and two wrapped items of similar shape.

He picked up the diadem off the top and held it up for Cam.

"Oh Bal..." he gasped.

"Want to try it on?" he grinned.

"Do I look like a princess?" He shook his head and playfully shoved him as he tried to put it on his head. "Wait, it could be cursed!"

"But we're not stealing," he assured him. "No one owns these anymore. Besides, you brother needs the amulet and that's what we're taking."

Camillio asked hesitantly, "Are they in there?"

He set down the crown and pulled out the two wrapped objects, carefully folding aside the fabric on one. Gleaming in the wand light was a green scarab surrounded by a halo of pearls. They both smiled.

"They're still here, after all this time." Camillio unwrapped the second scarab. "What should we do with the second one?"

Baltazar thought for a moment. "Well, the priest brought them to the Abbey to use them for their intended purpose. And we should make sure that happens. One for your brother, the other... We could bring it to the castle and leave clues. If someone needs it, they'll be able to find it."

He smiled. "Perfect. Now come on. Let's get out of here."

Staring wistfully at the treasure for a moment, he closed the lid and tucked it back in the crack. He stood and followed Camillio out the way he'd come, and they went towards the one opening.

He laced his fingers together and knelt down. "Here, I'll give you a boost."

Bal raised a brow. "Okay..." With a grunt, they managed to get him up and out. He then turned and reached down for Cam. "Careful."

Taking his hand, he kicked off the rock, gasping as it moved. He scrambled the rest of the way out and they watched as the stone collapsed further.

"Are the amulets safe?" Baltasar asked anxiously.

He pulled them out of his pocket and grinned. "I always loved the deep pockets in these uniforms."

They walked far away from the collapsed area and found the group, slipping to the back.

"Why did you come to the Academy?" he asked Camillio suddenly.

He met his eye. "To learn how to keep my people safe and to find a cure for my brother."

Baltazar smiled. "Huh. You're so confident. I wish I knew my purpose so easily."

He shrugged, his blonde hair turning a bit darker. "You're helping me, risking your education, your family's honour, your future, all for the brother of a boy you just met."

"It's worth it. And now that we have these, it's possible to save him."

Looking at the setting sun, he chewed his lip. "We just have to get to the post soon."

"Why?" Baltazar asked, his brow furrowing.

"We have to get it to Caio before the next full moon."