All You Need To Do Is Smile (Truly)

Izuku hated Christmas.

    Well, not the holiday per se, but the day itself. He never really cared for the holiday, anyways. Izuku never had anyone to celebrate it with, so it never really ever mattered to him.   

    Christmas was the one time a year where his mother let herself become not motherly. She got so drunk that she wouldn't even remember anything the next morning (but Izuku knew that she knew what she did to him). Izuku never got presents on Christmas. Nor did he get to build gingerbread houses or wear ugly sweaters.

    No, he got punches and screams and scars. Izuku was never sure what the reason for this was, but it has been happening since he was diagnosed as quirkless, or maybe it was a year before. Right after his father left because he was such a disgrace. In all honesty, Izuku didn't care when it started. It shouldn't have even started in the first place.

    It might've been because his mother is still angry at him for making his father leave, or maybe it was because he was always a failure. Even before he was diagnosed as useless to the world. All Izuku knew was that Christmas was the one time a year where his mother got to unleash all of her negative feelings towards him, the one time she could be herself.

    And what the worst part was, was that every year he hoped that things would be different this time. And just like the year before all the others, his hopes got crushed as he watched her empty bottle after bottle.

    This year would be different, though. It was Izuku's first year at U.A and the first year where he had friends. Right before break, they were going to have a Christmas party in the common room. Midoryia had gotten a gift for everyone in Class 1-A; most of them were handmade and he had clearly put a lot of thought in each of them. Deku even got Christmas gifts for Aizawa, Yamada, All Might, and Eri. He was beyond excited to celebrate Eri's first Christmas party with her. He wanted to make sure it was nothing like his.

________________

    It was the night of the party and Izuku was both excited and nervous. He's never been to a Christmas party before and doesn't really know what to expect. He was also dreading tomorrow morning since that's the day he would have to go home for winter break. Inko was working everyday except Christmas, so he will be all alone. He tried to look on the bright side and think about all the extra training he would be able to do. Maybe he could even hang out with his friends instead of hide in his room like he did all the other years.

    Once the party had started, Izuku couldn't stop smiling. Everything was just so bright and cheerful. Izuku had wished he had experienced more of this during the holidays instead of cold, blank darkness.

    He was chatting to Ururaka about what she was doing during the break when Eri excitedly ran up to him with her arms open wide. Izuku automatically opened his arms and picked her up, swinging the girl around. Eri's laughter was like beautiful bells to Izuku. He wanted to make sure that tonight was filled with laughter and happiness for Eri. She deserved it after all she's been through.

    "Deku-nii!" Izuku smiled at the name. When Eri found out what a brother was and that family could be more than just blood, she had taken to calling Izuku 'Deku-nii'. Something that made Midoryia smile everytime he heard it.

    "Yes, Eri-Chan?" Izuku asked, placing Eri back onto the ground.

    "It's just... that there's so much!! It's so pretty and colorful! I also made you this, Deku-nii!" Eri pulled out a small card from her pocket and shyly handed it to him. Izuku crouched down next to Eri as he looked at the card. It was a crayon drawing of him and her holding hands. When he opened it, it said 'Merry Christmas'. Izuku slightly chuckled when he saw 'trick or treat' scribbled out on the top.