Chapter 2

They spent the next few hours combing meticulously working through every incident report, the Quik Notes Quill dutifully taking down every note with lighting speed until they had assessed every case together. Several trays of tea and a platter of handcrafted sandwich triangles from Pepper later, Harry called it a day, gathering up his bits and pieces and tucked them away into his satchel.

"So Mr Potter" Mrs Malfoy began, waving a hand over the teapot which started steaming again.

"Harry, please"

"Harry, how are you keeping?"

Harry internally was surprised that Mrs Malfoy seemed to want to carry on a friendly conversation outside of work. They hadn't spoken more than two words to each other since Lucius Malfoy's trial, and even then, they hardly crossed paths.

"I'm keeping as well as I can be" he replied, a little more truthfully than he was with most people, feeling oddly at ease with the pair. "The Daily Prophet is still trying its hardest to engulf me in another scandal"

"Must be hard" Malfoy piped up, sneering slightly over the lip of his cup. "The Savour of the Wizarding World, full of parties and social mingling with those of the highest order."

He could see the downturn in Mrs Malfoy's mouth but he only smiled back instead. "Come now Malfoy, you know how I detest those events. Besides, I try to stay out of the papers regardless."

The trio talked about trivial matters for another half hour or so before Harry excused himself from the company of Mrs Malfoy, wanting to get back to the office to drop off his notes before going home. Malfoy elected to accompany him to the door after kissing his mother on the cheek. Harry was surprised when Malfoy put on his outer robe beside him, throwing his trademark smirk.

"Didn't anyone teach you its rude to stare Potter?"

Harry didn't have a retort to he resorted to hitting him lightly with his satchel. "Malfoy, I didn't realise I needed an escort to the Ministry, you're too kind."

"Yes well" Draco sniffed, stepping through the door that Harry opened "Someone has to protect you from evil reporters."

Harry followed him onto the white stone staircase that gleamed in the afternoon sun. "Wouldn't that be an article in and of itself eh?"

Harry marvelled internally at how he and Malfoy were walking calmly, side by side, to the Apperation point just on the other side of the wrought iron gate, almost as if they were friends. Hermione was right. They had grown up, fought in a war, loved, lost, hurt, and grieved. He would always reflect on the courage it took for Draco to turn against Voldemort at the final battle, to turn away from what he thought was his family and run towards Neville. He will never forget how Malfoy threw Harry a wand when he was running for cover. It was as he mulled over these events that he turned to Malfoy.

"You know Malfoy, I was thinking.."

"Oh god forbid" Malfoy drawled, pulling open the iron gate and ushered Harry though, mumbling a quick charm as he shut it again.

"If you're not terribly busy this evening, perhaps you could grace me with your presence at The Anchor and Castle? It's a muggle establishment not far from King's Cross." Harry over-exaggerated posh accent caused Malfoy to roll his eyes with a wry smile.

"Jesus Potter, alright, if only to stop you from using that outrageous voice. 6?"

Harry smiled and pulled his outer robe around him, nodding once in farewell as he Apperated back to the quiet chaos that is the Auror's Office.