Chapter 6

I watch the waves. It's calming. I don't know for how long I've sat here simply watching them. I should probably go back to the club, there is still so much today before I open it in a week. I wasn't gonna open it for another at least two weeks but due to it being in such a perfect condition and me really needing the money I decided to open early. The flyers should arrive some time today so I can start giving them out tomorrow. I booked this really amazing upcoming musician I met one day walking down Hollywood Boulevard. I guess that's one of the perks of trying to build a music related business in LA - you meet musicians everywhere. You meet musicians everywhere... I met Charlie. On the poster he was holding a guitar so I'm assuming he has some sort of relationship with music, at least in that Netflix show he's staring in.

I eventually bring myself to get up and walk back to my club... my club. It's so crazy to think that. Having my own club. Yes, I always dreamed about it, but actually having that club... grandpa would be proud of me. I avoid looking at the poster when I cross it. It triggers me for some reason. I was foolish enough to fall for a boy, ok I can handle that but having fallen for an actor? That's a whole new level. I feel even more stupid now. How could I ever think he actually liked me?

I enter my club and walk over to my phone. I've been gone for two hours?! It felt like I sat there for like 20 minutes. Ok, no need to panic Vic. I still have about an hour before the flyer delivery is about to come. I have five unanswered calls. One's from Jenny, I send her a quick text telling her I'll call her later. The other call is from my mother, I ignore it. She has no right to call me and I have no intention to call her back. How did she even get that number? The other three are from an unknown number. I call back. "This is Parker Williams." I have no idea who that's supposed to be. "Hi, this is Victoria Porter. You called me?" He doesn't respond right away, I guess he's trying to figure out who I am and why he even called me. After all it's been almost an hour since he tried to ring me. "Oh, right, Miss Porter. I believe you booked my client Marco Lay for an opening of yours?" Ok, he's Marco's manager. That makes sense. He probably wants to confirm all the details. "Yeah I did." There is another pause. "Ms. Porter, I'm really sorry to inform you but Mr. Lay won't be able to work with you." What? He can't be serious? This is not just happening.

One hour later

"Delivery for Ms. Victoria Porter?" I jump up from the barstool I was sitting on in shock. I did not hear anyone come in. "Ms. Porter?" I try to pull myself together and not appear as confused, worried, tired and sad as I feel. "Yeah, that's me." I give the guy a small smile. He hands me a box, my flyers I presume, lets me sign for the delivery and leaves. How has it been an hour? I just got back from the beach, then I got the call from Mr. Williams and now that guy's here? Time really gets away from me today. This only ever happened before when I was with Max.

"Vicky I'm home!" I snap out of my trance. Max is home? He literally left five minutes ago. I check my phone and yes, it's actually 7pm. I've been sat here, in the same spot, ever since he left. "Hi" he says softly, kissing my forehead. It's like nothing happened. It's like he didn't yell at me this morning, threatening to leave me if I ever speak up to him again. All I asked was that he made his own breakfast for once because I wasn't feeling well. "Vicky, you ok? You look exhausted. What have you been doing all day? Why isn't dinner ready?" I jump up from the couch and head to the kitchen. "Sorry, I lost track of time. Dinner will be ready in a sec." Max throws himself onto the couch and turns on the TV. "Thanks. I love you." He loves me. It'll all be ok.

The box I was just holding in my hands slams onto the floor, snapping me back to reality. I don't have time to be caught in my old drama and I don't have time to let this drama drag me back into my old self either. I will be fine. I will manage this. Ok, first of all I need to find a new opening act. That shouldn't be too hard, it's LA. There are musicians looking for a job everywhere. I will spend all day tomorrow out on Hollywood Boulevard trying to find someone. I pick up the box and turn to walk over to the counter to place it there. I open it up and hold the flyers in my hand. They say:

The Magic of Hollywood

- New club opening on Friday, September 18, 2020. -

Don't miss out on the night of your life.

Drinks, Music, Open Mic and much more...

Brought to you by Victoria Porter

Doors open at 9:30pm

They are perfect. Just the way I dreamed for them to be. They are designed in a dusty rose color with golden letters, perfectly matching the interior design of my club. My own club. It's getting real. I have exactly one week to turn this opening into the night of everyone's life and especially my own. I pick up my flyers to take them to the back of the club, where my current bedroom is located. I can hear someone entering the club. "Sorry, we aren't open yet." I say turning around to see who it is. "Hey Victoria." he says, a small shy smile on his face. I catch my breath. "Charlie" I whisper.