Chapter 22

The group settled in the Tartaros kingdom after the angel forces retreated for the moment. With their base destroyed, Jude would have to come up with a new war strategy, giving the demon forces about a day to prepare.

As everyone prepared themselves for the upcoming battle, Lucy dismissed herself, telling Natsu she wanted to be alone. The demon watched as she disappeared down the halls, guilty that she'd have to be part of a war like this.

"What happened?" He turned to his brother, sighing sadly as the two made their way to his office.

"The negotiation didn't go well at all. She ended up destroying the castle, so we'll have a bit of an advantage, though." Zeref nodded as he shut the office door behind them. He stared at Natsu blankly for a moment, watching as he slowly became weary.

"...What?"

"It's odd that you trust her so easily." Natsu sighed, exasperated. The Demon Gates had been saying that, too, and he was tired of defending himself. "You don't know her like I know her. She wouldn't betray me."

"How can you be so sure?" Natsu grew frustrated, especially with the way Zeref held himself, acting as if he knew what he was talking about. There were already enough people talking poorly of his woman, and he did not need his brother joining in.

"You don't think it's a bit odd, Natsu? You don't think she could be setting you up?"

"Lucy had a million chances to try something if she wanted to. Please, I don't want to hear you talk about her like that."

Zeref looked his little brother up and down as he sighed. Natsu was always too quick to get defensive, he needed to understand that he was only looking out for him. "You must be realistic, Natsu. What reason does she have to be here when she could be a princess in her kingdom? You know what happened to her mother, she has every reason to hate demons."

"And Mavis had every reason to hate you, but here you are."

Natsu did not falter at Zeref's glare, he knew his brother hated whenever someone brought up Mavis' past, but he needed a taste of his own medicine.

"That's different, Natsu."

"How so? She was a servant that was mistreated for years. It's amazing how she even came around to speak to you. Lucy's been my best friend since she got here, and she means a lot to me."

"Are you in love with her?"

Natsu tried to look indifferent, but he couldn't help his blush. He'd never told anyone but Lucy about his feelings for her, and he isn't exactly prepared to be talking to his brother about it.

"You compare your relationship with Lucy to my relationship with Mavis. Is it because you're in love with her?"

He took a deep breath, looking away from Zeref's knowing glance. It wasn't like he was going to deny it, but he wasn't sure how Zeref would react if he knew the truth. He flinched when he felt his brother's hand on his shoulder, but he didn't look him in the face.

"Natsu..."

The two stood in silence before Zeref turned to leave. Natsu was relieved that they wouldn't be going back and forth about this anymore. He heard Zeref whisper, "Just be careful," as he left, and Natsu decided to leave the office after him.

He decided not to think much of it, it wasn't like he expected his brother to trust Lucy right away. It was true that their relationship seemed dangerous, but if he'd gotten to know her, Zeref would realize that Lucy is as honest as they come.

As he eased out of his thoughts, Natsu realized he'd unconsciously made his way over to his princess, following his nose to find her.

She was playing the lyre, and it looked like she was pretty into it. Mavis was there, too, sitting on a plush couch and not taking her gaze off of Lucy as she played. Natsu stood in the doorway, admiring Lucy's skill but dreading the distressed aura around her.