Chapter 2

Jackson's POV

I've known since the day I was born that I was going to be the next Alpha. That the only reason most people wanted to be around me because of what they think they can get from me. For that reason, I tend to only associate with my dad's ranking officers kids. Since they are already in line to inherit their father's title. They are less likely to use me since they don't need me to get it. Tabitha my current girlfriend is the only one in my circle that is not a ranked officer's kid.

We met in elementary school. It started as a playground crush on a friend and grew from there. We got older and got closer and shared a lot of ups and downs. She is a beautiful, strong, powerful, confident woman whose very presence commands attention. I am sure that one day she will be an amazing luna. Even though we have a complex relationship, she knows me better than anyone else. I can't imagine being with anyone other than her. I know one day I will mark her as mine and we will run this pack just like my parents are. With compassion, trust, loyalty, and love. Once she and I are official I think that a lot of our issues will go away.

As soon as I got home from school my father's Beta stopped me. "Hey, Jackson the Alpha would like to see you in his office." I nod my head and sigh. This is official business because he sent his Beta to get me and we are meeting in his office. "Tabitha wait for me in the game room. I'll be there as soon as I'm done." She kissed me on the cheek and went in the opposite direction. Walking down the hall I try to think about what he could want. I knock on his office door and wait to be let in.

"Come in," I walked into the office and saw my dad sitting behind his big oak desk. "Yes, sir?" I ask as my father looks up at me with a small smile.

"How was school today son?" He has his finger steepled with his chin resting on them. "Fine?" I had a decent day today but I am concerned because he even asked. I watched as he shook his head. "I have had another report from the school about Tabitha assaulting another student." He raised his hand to keep me from talking. "I know you weren't there but that has brought up some concerns, about Tabitha being Luna. You know that we can't have a Luna assaulting pack members." Damn, I wish she had a better temper. Tabitha's temper is legendary and the main reason she and I argue.

"I'll talk to her dad. She is aware that she needs to work on her temper before she can become Luna. She will be ready when the time comes." I watch as he shakes his head again shake no. "No son, she needs to be your fated mate. You can't be the Alpha with a chosen mate. To be very honest with you son if she turns out to be your fated mate, we may need to find a new alpha. She is not very well-liked by the pack members." Rolling my eyes as I prepare to defend Tabitha again. I get so sick of people being so judgemental of everything she does.

"Dad, people don't like her mom and they take that out on Tabby. She is a good girl but the judgment is a lot to deal with." I cross my arms over my chest. "No one is willing to give her a chance or see her as her own person. The whole pack is making her suffer for the sins of her mother." My dad shakes his head. "No son, we all know she is not her mother. I believe that she is using that as an excuse for her poor treatment of others and very unLuna like behavior." Again he holds his hand up and continues. "You are 18, do you feel any pull to her?"

Rolling my eyes, I shake my head. "She isn't 18 yet. But dad no law says I can't take a chosen mate." I'm confused our pack has always allowed a chosen mate. You never know if a mate is going to pass away. Mates are not always found since this is a big world. My father looks at me and I can tell by the look in his eye I am not going to like his response. "The Alpha cannot have a chosen mate unless his mate is dead or not found in time to provide an heir. Right now you don't meet either guideline. The Goddess only gives us one fated mate. That person will be perfect for you and the pack."