chapter three

After lunch, I realized that my next class didn't have Bella in it. Luckily, I wouldn't be completely alone. Jasper happened to be in that class. We walked there quietly. He wasn't super talkative, but I didn't mind. It was nice just having him around.

That calm feeling from earlier was gone, but I wasn't anxious. I was content, which wasn't something I thought I'd be saying on my first day of school.

We silently walked towards the back corner of the class. I pulled out my notebook for the class, and then the teacher walked in.

"Good afternoon, class," he said. "Today we have a new student joining us."

All eyes immediately turned to me. My heart instantly sped up. I started playing with my hands, a nervous habit I can't stop myself from doing.

"Do you want to come up here and introduce yourself?" he asked, but it wasn't really a question.

I took a deep breath and got up from my seat and headed to the front. I kept my eyes on the ground. I didn't want to accidentally trip on my way.

I turned around when I reached the front of the classroom. "Hello, I'm Violet Hewitt."

"Where are you from, Violet?" he asked trying to keep the conversation going.

"Connecticut." My voice cracked as I said it. I cleared my throat and tried again. "Connecticut."

"Well, that's pretty far away. Hopefully, you like it here in Washington. You can take your seat now."

I walked back to my seat and shakily sat down. That wasn't too bad, but I was still nervous as hell.

In . . . 2 . . . 3 . . . 4

Out . . . 2 . . . 3 . . . 4

My hands were starting to feel raw from rubbing them together so much, but I couldn't stop.

Suddenly, I felt a hand rest on top of mine. I looked to the side to see Jasper with his eyes forward, looking at the teacher. He slowly turned to look at me. His eyes held a tiny bit of worry, as if he knew what I was going through. Maybe he has anxiety too.

He nodded his head and turned forward again.

In . . . 2 . . . 3 . . . 4

Out . . . 2 . . . 3 . . . 4

It helped.

A lot.

I couldn't focus on what the teacher was saying, but I wasn't anxious anymore.

Jasper wrote notes as if he wasn't even aware of his hand on top of mine.

Eventually, the bell rang. His hand gave mine a quick, reassuring squeeze. He then started packing up his stuff.

"I can give you the notes to copy if you want," he said while holding out his notebook.

"That would be really nice actually. Thank you." I said, meaning more than just the notes.

He nodded in response.

He then stood up with his bag. "I don't have the next class with you, but I think you have it with Edward. I can walk you there if you would like."

I nodded, and then we silently walked to my next class. Jasper was the easiest person to be around. Everything just came naturally with him.

When we neared the classroom, I saw Edward was already sitting in the class with an empty seat next to him.

"I'll see you later, then," Jasper said almost awkwardly. I then felt his hand squeeze mine and disappear. I watched him walk away in confusion.

When did we start holding hands?