Audition

Sam spent hours preparing for the day. Choosing his outfit his makeup, accessories, running lines, etc. It took hours. But it would all be worth it.

When the day rolled around, Sam was forced to go without Naberius. The Mob boss had had an emergency with work and had to go immediately. Thus, he left Sam all alone. Samael had never been so nervous. If he had knees they would be buckling. He was so scared. He'd never auditioned for something like this before and he knew he was about to meet his soulmates. Who wouldn't be nervous? Especially since he was last in line.

"Next!" A voice rang out.

That was him!

Sam slithered out on stage in his pink crop top and matching skirt. His eyeshadow went perfectly with the outfit. Cast his gaze out across the room. There was a moth creature sitting at a table set just in front of the stage and two figures seated front and center, one in the other's lap.

"Alright, this is a two part audition, I need you to go through the monologue and then play a song of your choosing on the piano with singing." The director said.

Sam took out the paper and with a deep, calming breath, he began.

"I know you say you care, but I've yet to see that! If you can't even tell me you love me, if you can't even compliment me, how am I to believe you really love me?" Sam sniffled.

"E-Especially when you hit me!? W-When you f-fucking abuse me! How a-am I s-supposed to feel s-s-safe in my own home w-when the person w-waiting there wants n-nothing m-more than t-to hurt me...? I can't!" Sam paused and took a slow breath in, acting like he was wiping tears that had pooled in his eyes, "Goodbye Gregory, I hope that you f-find someone you actually love, s-someone you won't h-hurt."

That concluded the scene.

"H-how was that?" Sam asked.

"Kid, that may have been the best run I've seen for that scene all day. If you sing half as good, then you definitely get the part." He said.

Sam smiled and slithered over to the piano. His fingers danced over the keys as he began playing. The soft notes drifted through the air and Sam began to sing.

"When I look into your eyes
It's like watching the night sky
Or a beautiful sunrise
Well there's so much they hold"

And just like them old stars
I see that you've come so far
To be right where you are
How old is your soul?"

Sam let a small smile slip onto his face. He truly loved this song. His smooth voice carried a soft, gentle tone that fit so well.

"Well, I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up

And when you're needing your space
To do some navigating
I'll be here patiently waiting
To see what you find"

The next part was Sam's favorite. He already had a couple tears in his eyes. His smooth calm voice transitioned quickly for a perfect emotional feel.

"'Cause even the stars they burn
Some even fall to the earth
We've got a lot to learn
God knows we're worth it

No, I won't give up"

Sam chanced a quick glance over to the spot his soulmates were sitting in. He saw Abraxas looking on with only a mild interest. However, Vincenzo was on the edge of his seat, his many eyes staring in wonder.

"I don't wanna be someone who walks away so easily
I'm here to stay and make the difference that I can make
Our differences they do a lot to teach us how to use the tools and gifts
We got yeah we got a lot at stake

And in the end you're still my friend at least we did intend
For us to work we didn't break, we didn't burn
We had to learn, how to bend without the world caving in
I had to learn what I got, and what I'm not
And who I am"

Abraxas looked at lest mildly interested now, and Sam let himself smile. He could do this.

"I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up

Well, I won't give up on us
God knows I'm tough, he knows
We got a lot to learn
God knows we're worth it"

Sam took a breath as he prepared for the final verse.

"I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up"

He looked at the director. The man looked surprised and Samael saw a tear drip onto his chest.

"Hm... can you dance?" The director asked.

"Yes." Sam answered.

"And what's your name?" He asked.

"Samael Naija." He responded.

"Well Sam, I do believe you got the part."

Sam looked at the moth in shock.

"Really?" He asked.

The moth nodded. Sam had to stifle a squeal. They went back stage to discuss a contract and information. Once they were done the moth left...

Leaving Sam all alone with his soul mates.

(Song is "I won't give up" by Jason Marez)