four

It was a completely wonderful day. The weather was sunny with a nice breeze, the corridors weren't full of crowded students, and Lily managed to run into Effie.

Effie was humming a rhythm while scanning the score she previously ran through in the Great Hall the other day.

Lily, deciding to take Ivory's advice, walked up to Effie with squared-up shoulders and intent to befriend Effie.

"Is that for the next concert?" asked Lily breathlessly.

Effie looked up from the score, scanning Lily's face to make sure she was talking to the right person. "Yes."

Lily was hoping for more than that, but it was better than nothing. She racked her brain for anything else to add that wouldn't be odd.

"You've a beautiful voice," blurted Lily. She immediately cringed at that.

Effie tilted her head to the side. "Is that so?"

Lily nodded. "Yep, very beautiful." It was all she could say.

"Thank you. Can you even hear me sing in that group of students?"

"Oh - Well, I meant your voice in general is very beautiful," clarified Lily.

"Ah. More thanks. Effie Evanescence."

Lily stuck out her hand. "Lily Evans."

Effie glanced down at Lily's hands quickly before looking back up. "Sorry, I don't touch."

Lily retracted her hand awkwardly. "Sorry."

Effie shrugged. "'Is all right. Not your fault."

"Right."

The two stood in the middle of the corridor for a moment, staring at each other. Lily, who felt very awkward, wanted to run and scream into a pillow. Effie, who was suspicious of Lily, narrowed her eyes and looked at Lily fiercely.

"Uh - Well, I have a test to study for, so I best be going now," said Lily. "Good luck on the choir!"

Effie hummed. "Thanks."

Lily scurried away, and Effie watched as her figure disappeared down the corridor. She stared down the empty corridor for a moment more before walking away, music sheets now tucked into her armpit.

"What an odd person," she murmured.