Southwest: Storytellers On The Rise Writing Contest [CLOSED]

Enter Now

This is an opportunity to take your writing to new heights with Southwest Airlines®.

Wattpad and Southwest have teamed up to launch an exciting new Writing Contest! The Southwest: Storytellers On The Rise Writing Contest, calls upon the next generation of storytellers to reflect upon what has been at the Heart of Southwest for 50 years – kindness – by sharing stories rooted in travel as we reflect on our past and look forward to the moments when we can reconnect with the people and places we love.

As we look back on 50 years, we remember with gratitude the stories our Employees and Customers have shared– like a Customer boarding their first flight and experiencing the sense of passion and discovery that only travel can bring; an Employee going above and beyond for a fellow Employee when they needed help most – even performing life-saving measures; Flight Attendants making a flight especially memorable for Customers who were traveling to meet their adopted child; and more. We celebrate the stories of kindness that have been shared throughout our 50 years, and we will continue showing kindness to our Customers and Employees in the years to come.  

If you're an avid writer or are starting to build your skills, the Southwest: Storytellers On The Rise Writing Contest is a way to showcase your talent and have the chance to win prizes, provided by Southwest, to help further develop your writing. Prizes include a once in a lifetime mentorship opportunity with Beth Reekles, author of The Kissing Booth series-inspiration for the hit films on Netflix, a $500 Southwest® gift card, and $1,000 to hone your writing skills. Southwest wants to give you a lift to take your writing career to new heights.

📝Writing Criteria

In 1,000 words or less, write a story rooted in travel where you experienced kindness – or – if you prefer to let your imagination run wild, share a fictional story that sends your character to a destination where an act of kindness in a travel experience leaves a positive impact on their life.

Our world has been turned upside down and our everyday lives have been impacted. This time has given us the chance to think about what we truly value in our life. It may be a reflection on past experiences or a hopeful look to the future. Reflect on past experiences or look with hope to the future. Whether you're daydreaming of spending time with loved ones; meeting new people or experiencing new cultures; or thinking of what faraway beach to lie on or mountain to climb, reflect on the positive and lasting impact that travel can have on our lives. How will your story showcase the positive benefits of travel?

Thought starters:

· How has a travel experience influenced who you are today?

· Tell us about a time you were traveling and someone did something kind for you. What did they do and how did it make you feel?

· Did you have an experience that made you more appreciative or opened your eyes to new adventures or a new way of thinking?

· What was it like leaving your hometown for a different state for the first time?

· After returning back home from a trip across the country, what part of the trip did you enjoy most? Make this the central theme of your travel story.

· Is there a destination across the country that you've always wanted to visit? Explain what you would do on this life-changing trip!

· Is there a fictional character who you would like to send on a trip to one U.S. destination served by Southwest? Write about their epic travel story! (Any fictional characters used MUST be original and cannot impede on existing intellectual property (IP))

📝Additional Inspiration

· Check out Southwest's Route Map here for location ideas to set your story in, or help you recall some of your own travel stories!

·  In honor of of this writing contest, two of Wattpad's top writers have shared their travel stories rooted in kindness. Check out their stories here for more inspiration!

Timeline

· Deadline to enter this contest is February 28th, 2021 11:59p.m. Pacific Time

· Judging will be between March 1st, 2021 and March 17th, 2021

· Winners will be announced on the Southwest Airlines profile on approximately March 26th, 2021

📜 Submission Requirements (see Official Rules for full requirements)

· 1000 words or less

· Posted as a new story on your Wattpad profile (must have a Wattpad account to enter, to create one for free, visit http://www.wattpad.com/login)

· Story must follow the Writing Criteria above

· Submission must be in English

· Story must be tagged #SouthwestContest

✅ Eligibility Requirements

· Open to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States, and the District of Columbia (excluding Alaska,) who are at least nineteen (19) years of age or older at the time of entry

· Must have a valid Wattpad account at the time of entry

🏆 Prizes

One (1) Prize Winner will be chosen to receive the following:

· A $500 Southwest® gift card

· A $1,000 check

· One mentorship session from Beth Reekles, author of The Kissing Booth series-inspiration for the hit films on Netflix.

· Their winning story and winner's bio included on select Southwest social channels

Full prize details and restrictions can be found in the Official Rules and Regulations chapter

Enter Now

Happy Writing!

The Wattpad Team

The Southwest Airlines Team

NO PURCHASE OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. Open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia (excluding Alaska) age 19 or older at time of entry. Void where prohibited. See Official Rules and Privacy Policy. Enter by February 28, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. PT.