II | Avoidance and apologies

"Why do you think he's calling us? Do you think he knows what we did- or about to do? Or is he going to lecture us about the time we tried to turn the pool into jello? Or about yesterday when we put alarm clocks at different times in the night?" S...

"Why do you think he's calling us? Do you think he knows what we did- or about to do? Or is he going to lecture us about the time we tried to turn the pool into jello? Or about yesterday when we put alarm clocks at different times in the night?" She asked as she took off the rubber band from her hair and letting the brown hair fall in waves just past her shoulders.

I shrugged. "How would I know? I was with you all morning," We climbed the last step and walked towards the office. "Just for the sake of us not getting grounded again, try to act normal."

My twin softly elbowed me. "That was one time, also we were twelve!"

I didn't respond, just smiled teasingly. To be fair, Vanessa wasn't a bad actor, she just didn't do well in unprepared situations. But would I compliment her? Never in a million years. "Don't care, just act normal."

Nessa kicked the door open and entered as if she owned the place, while I, being the more sensible twin, walked in like a normal person. But instead of the familiar face of the old man, we were greeted by someone much younger than him.

His brown hair was combed perfectly and a three-piece suit was complimenting his whole 'business aura'. He wore a ghost of a smile on his lips and when his light blue eyes spotted us, softened a little.

I blankly stared at the man ahead of us. Blatantly ignoring the man, I walked further into the office and propped myself on the couch, raising and resting my legs on the small, glass table in front of me. The couch dipped down from beside me when Nessa did the same thing, just instead of resting her feet, she crossed them.

I looked at her for a second, stubbornness adorned her face. I was sure that it was mirroring my expression. She took out her phone and started scrolling through it. 

The person sighed.

"Adessa? Vanessa?" he tried to get us to look at him.

My thumb double-tapped the screen, liking the picture on Instagram. To be honest, I wasn't even paying attention to the device in my hands. My full concentration was to ignore the person.

"What are you both doing?" He asked, his tone had a soft hint of amusement. He already knew what we were doing. He should have been anything but amused.

"Waiting," Vanessa shortly replied, scowling at the phone.

"And what are you doing here, Vladimir?" I cocked my head to the side.

From the corner of my eye, I watched him wince at my usage of his full name. "I get that you both are mad-"

"That's an understatement."

"-and I'd like to apologize." For the first time since I entered the room, I brought my gaze towards him. His eyes shined with sincerity. It almost made me want to forgive him. 

"Apologize? Apologize for what exactly, Vladimir? That you missed our birthday for the second time?" He remained silent. "There's this thing called a phone, you could have used it and notified us. It would have helped us in not getting our hopes up," I scoffed.