Chapter 4 Mike

We just got done with those gumdrops. Gumdrops, really. They are sweet, practically my favorite candy, but here and now I hated them the most. How could this little game make gumdrops,the sweetest candy of all salty. This little game or whatever it is, is making me hate candy. What kid would hate candy.
Evelyn and I are walking. Clueless." Where are we going?" I say scaring Evelyn and disturbing her a bit.
Evelyn says," I don't know, all I know is I want to get out of here."
"Right. We need to somehow find a way to escape this madness," I pronounce as Evelyn picks up a chocolate stick. "What is that?"
"I don't know, but I have been seeing a lot of these as we were walking. Let's start picking them up," she says as Evelyn starts grabbing these chocolate sticks.
"Why?" I question as she starts handing some to me.
" I have a weird feeling we will need them." she says.
"Ok," I say in disbelief that we will ever need a bunch of chocolate sticks.

As we are walking, we come upon a long, deep gorge. It is huge and we can't even see the bottom. The ground starts to shake as the ground behind us that our very feet were on seconds ago starts to disappear.
"Run," Evelyn says as we sprint. " I told you we would need these sticks!" Evelyn exclaims as she sets the chocolate sticks down.
"How are we supposed you use these useless chocolate sticks?" I ask as she starts to lay down the sticks in almost a bridge-like way.
" Help me build a bridge so we can get across this gorge before we are toast!" she demands.

I have always been a step down from Evelyn. She is always in the spotlight with school and just being a smart person. The only thing I get recognized for is basketball and video games. The occasional good job I get from my mom or the great game from my dad. But Evelyn has never said anything to me. I wonder why. It might have been the occasional award ceremony I missed for her honors award. How am I supposed to go when she is always looking down on me and overshining me?

As we are building the bridge the ground behind us is disappearing by the second. As the bridge began to come together Evelyn exclaimed," After this we need to throw the bridge over the space in between us and the other side, so that the bridge will make it to the other side. When it makes it to the other side, we will make our way over to the other side carefully one at a time."
"And why would I do that?" I say as she stares at me in disbelief that those words just came out of my mouth.
"You are going to need to listen to me or we are going to get demolished by the candy sink-hole.
"I always have to listen to you," I say.
"Well, I am not looking to get into a fight right now. Help me through the bridge over," she says as we lift the bridge.
The bridge is heavy. We use the only muscles we have to lift the bridge and through it over. It was hard, but we managed to get it over. Evelyn fascend the side we were on and threw a rock over which landed on the stacks on the other side to hold the other side in place.
I went first. There was no hand railing so I had to balance as I walked over a gorge with no bottom. I stumbled as I got to the other side. Then Evelyn started. The ground behind her where the rope was had started to suck the ground under the bridge with it. Evelyn grabbed the rope tight as it fell from the opposing side. I grabbed her hand, because she had been so close to making it. I pull her up as she screams for her life. When she is on the ground, she sighs.
"Thank you," she says.

    "No problem," I say in shock that she actually said than you

"No problem," I say in shock that she actually said than you." It is what I am here for I guess."
As we walk forward, the whole landscape around us changes. Soon Instead of walking on candy central, we are walking in a vast valley of a mountain range. It is beautiful. I had never seen a mountain range more elegant and colorful.