Chapter 6 The Dream Catcher

They are still in that little cabin I planted for them. Are they going slow? Is it too hard for them? Or are they just dumb? We will never know. It is hard watching them. No one can ever know that though. People can use my fears against me. I will not let that happen.

    I am in a cabin. The walls around me are warm from the fire in the room. The smoke from it glazes my nose as the bitter smell makes me sick. I throw a log in the fire. It sparks back at me. My mother and father walk in the room. They seem proud. Almost like I still had them. Later that night while the fire was burning.It caught fire to the rug from a single spark that made it out of the fireplace. It caught fire and made it way, burning the halls and catching fire to everything around it. It caught my parents room and I never saw them again. It burned down the whole cabin. I jumped out the window since I had been on the first floor. My parents didn't. But life went on. I walked for miles until I found a town. Then, life went on.

    That is how my parents died. In this cabin is where these two children will get stuck in a dream. Forever. I know it might sound harsh, but it is how it is meant to be.
    My childhood role model was peter pan. Not the fairy Peter Pan. The shadow in the story. That is what inspired me to start the game Evelyn and Mike are now playing. I challenge children to escape the dreams that haunt their minds when their heads hit the pillow. I might sound cruel, but after everything that I have been through, nothing is cruel.

Mike and Evelyn are now looking for the key that will win then their freedom. They are close. The place I have planted the key will bring them freedom or sorrow. They have exactly three minutes to find the key. It is planted in the cabin walls. Though they want to find it, they must use their strength to break open a memory that they swore to never see again. The walls of the cabin, to the touch, are filled with memories that they do not want to keep. At the touch of the walls, their brains would be filled with them and they would have to use their strength to surpass that. No one has ever passed this challenge or even got this far. As they searched the cabin, the clue that told them the shock would come from something that you could knock. As Evelyn touched the walls, I could see the pain in her eyes as she started shaking from the sting the walls are giving her. SHe started shaking more and more until she said," The walls."

    "What?" askes Mike as he is stung by the touch of the wall

"It stings," they both say.
"Let's feel around until it really hurts, the key will probably be there," says Evelyn.
"I don't want to, but I will," says Mike.
They both feel around, as I see the pain in their eyes. Mike comes to a stop, just around where the key is. He grabs a candlestick from a nearby table and throws it at the wall. It breaks the wall and a box with the key falls out. They did it. Of course they did.
Evelyn rushes over and grabs the box that is now laying on the floor. She opens it, grabs the key, and unlocks the door. They appear in a white room. No doors. Nothing.
"I come on the dream speaker and say," Congratulations. You have escaped the Land of Dreams. I am the Dream Catcher. Have you ever heard of Peter Pan? The shadow in his story is who I am today. I take children from their dreams each night and challenge them to a wonderful course of bravery, honesty, and your will to work together to win. You have completed my challenge. You may go now under one circumstance. You may tell no one of my existence. The possibilities are endless of what could go wrong at the chance of that happening. I will return you reality but me and this game shall not. I wish you the best of luck on your social studies test and the best of luck on your tournament. Have a wonderful day, and sweet dreams."

 I watch on the cameras as they both fall back into their separate bedrooms and start the new day

I watch on the cameras as they both fall back into their separate bedrooms and start the new day. They were my favorite kids so far. The one thing they should have learned is that they need each other and they need to stick together. I hope I taught them a lesson.

"Always be kind, no matter the person, place or thing. Love the people in your life that you need and rely on and your relationships in life will get you far."
Unknown