a change of pace

“Hmmmmm,” Ren said she was in the middle of practice and was trying to think of different ways the team could train for prelims. “You guys, that practice match next week right,” Ren asked, looking at the boy’s team. 

“Yeah, that’s right,” Oikawa said.

Ren nodded her head letting him know she heard him then furrowed her brows thinking. “Practice matches… hmm that could work. It will be hard to find anyone who will agree...though…” Ren said, muttering to herself. 

“You’re thinking out loud again Sakura-chan,” Oikawa said laughing a bit. He thought her muttering and focus was cute.

“Ah! Shoot! Sorry, I should stop doing that.” Ren said looking up at Oikawa. 

“It’s fine don’t worry,” Oikawa said, patting Ren’s head. 

She blushed a bit then nodded. She furrowed her brows again focusing on the task at hand. Are there any schools near here that would agree? Hmm, I’m not sure. She pulled out her phone looking up the high schools in the area. Ah! Miozono high school has a volleyball team right? I think we lost to them before... Ren thought. She then shoved her phone into her pocket. 

“I’m going to head out for a bit! Chiharu start receiving and serving drills with them when I’m gone, okay?” Ren said walking towards the door. 

“Sure no problem Ren,” Chiharu said smiling at Ren. 

“Where are you heading off to?” Iwa asked. 

“I’m going to try and organize a practice match. I think it would be good for the team.” Ren said. 

“Isn’t that the administrator and coach’s job? Or even a manager.” Uehara asked. 

“Well yes, but we don't have a coach or manager and the administrator is busy.” ren said. “So I take all that work. Anyway, I’ll be back.” Ren said stepping out of the gym. 

She stepped outside watching the students from different clubs practice sports and do their daily activities. Ren entered the school and walked through different hallways and staircases till she was at the faculty room. 

“Excuse me,” Ren said sliding the door open then bowed her head. She walked over to the club administrator then said, “Uhm Excuse me,” 

“Oh! Sakura-san! What a pleasant surprise what can I do for you dear?” The administrator said. 
“I was hoping to call Miozono High school to organize a practice match,” Ren said. 

“Oh of course here, go ahead and call them.” The administrator said, she smiled at Ren then handed her a phone. 

Ren bowed her head again then dialled a few numbers to call the school she was hoping to organize a practice match with. 

“Hello? Ah yes, my name is Ren Sakura from Aoba Johsai high school. I was hoping to speak to the adviser of the Girls Volleyball Club. Yes. Thank you.” Ren said. 

“Hello, how can I help you.” A voice said over the other line. 

“Ah hello. I’m the captain of the Aoba Johsai girls volleyball club. I was hoping to organize a practice match with your team.” 

“I’m back!” Ren said running through the doors of the gym. 

“How’d it go?” Iwaizumi asked her. 

“I got us a practice match next Thursday!” Ren said smiling from ear to year. 

“Really?! That’s great Ren!” Chiharu said smiling. 

“Right?!” Ren said running over to her friend. “Alright! It’s getting late. We should end practice here for today. I want everyone to come to morning practice at seven-fifteen. And I mean everyone.” 

“But it’s so early,” Hattori protested. 

“I know. I’m not a fan of it either. But I need everyone here so we can discuss the practice match.” Ren said. 

The girls agreed reluctantly then went off to change. 

“You gonna go home?” Chiharu asked. 

“Not yet, I want to choose positions for the practice match,” Ren said. 

“Oh in that case I’ll stay and help you,” Chiharu said warmly. 

“Alrighty,” Ren said. 

The gym was quiet only the sound of volleyballs crashing and murmurs from Chiharu and Ren could be heard. Everyone had left except Ren, Chiharu, Iwaizumi, and Oikawa. 

“And all that leaves is you! Our amazing ace!” Ren said writing Chiharu’s name under wing spiker. 

“And you!” Chiharu said. 

“Pffft yeah.” She wrote her own name under setter then held the paper up. “It’s done!” She exclaimed. 

“Let’s do our best next week. Though I know you already will.” Chiharu laughed. 

“I have to! I’m the captain! How will I become number 1 if I don't try!” Ren said standing up. 

“Just don’t overdo it,” Chiharu said standing up too. 

“I won’t,” Ren said. 

“They sure seem like they’re enjoying themselves,” Oikawa said to Iwaizumi. 

“Oh shush. Let her have this.” Iwa said. 

“What are you guys up to?” Ren asked, walking up to the two boys. 

“Just practice nothing special,” Iwa said to Ren. 

“Ah alright.” She walked back to the girls’ side of the gym then began serving. She was having a hard time with them. I definitely have improved but I'm still doing something wrong, Ren thought. 

“Sakura-chan. You’re hitting the ball with the wrong part of your hand.” Oikawa said, walking over to her. 

“Ah! Am I?” Ren said. That must be it then, she thought. 

“Yeah let me show you.” He said. He walked up to Ren then took her arm. His hand ran along her arm until it reached her small hand. His hands were rough and had a lot of clauses from all the practice much like her own. 

“You should be hitting it here.” He said holding a part of her hand. His hand is so much bigger than mine, Ren thought. Her cheeks began to heat up and her face was red.  “Sakura-chan did you get that?” Oikawa asked. 

“AH! YES!” Ren said. I forgot to respond! Ren thought. She then took her hand back and walked over to get a volleyball to try another server. She picked it up and walked back over to where she was standing before. She threw the ball up then began to start her approach to serve. She jumped up then hit the ball the way Oikawa showed her too. Not too much power, just focus on control, Ren thought. The ball flew across the court and slammed near the edge of the court. Her feet feel hitting the ground. 

“How was that?” Ren asked, looking over at Oikawa and Iwaizumi. 

“Much better you have a lot more control now right?” Oikawa said, walking over toward Ren. 

“Yeah! It felt like I could direct it so much easier!” She said excitedly. 

She’s so happy, Oikawa thought. “That’s great,” He said placing his hand on her back.”You’ve been working really hard recently.” He said to Ren. 

“Y-you think so?” Ren said her cheeks were flushed. He’s not moving his hand…, Ren thought. 

He hummed in agreement, then with his other hand ruffled her hair. “Keep up the good work Sakura-chan.” He said then walked off. 

Ren looked back at the tall setter. His perfect hair moved slightly as he walked. 

“I-I should probably head home, it's getting late,” Ren said blushing from what Oikawa had done. 

“Oh yeah, we should too.” Iwaizumi said. 

Ren was now in the girl's locker room. What was with him earlier… that was too weird. He rejected me so why is he acting like that? I mean he was always like that but…, It’s strange. Ren thought.