Understanding

A/N: This is really just the resolution with Ann, going through their backstory to let her understand how our main couple came to be. I was considering just skipping the retelling, but I wanted to have our main two go into it themselves and talk about how they felt during important times of that story. So, all in all not a major chapter or anything. But that's not really the point of this story, so it's alright. To the small group that does read this, I hope you enjoy.

"So, you ran into Ms. Kawakami at her second job?"

"Yes."

"A job that you refuse to say what it is?"

"Correct."

Ann sighed, "Ren we're only one minute into your story, and it's already super vague."

Ren sipped his coffee, leaning back in the booth. "I told you some details can't be spoken. I might be sharing the story, but those small parts I keep to myself are Sadayo and I's business, and ours alone. They're not absolutely crucial parts anyway."

"It sounds a little crucial. It can't be an average job, most of the students would have definitely seen her by now if she was a cashier or waitress or something. What exactly were you guys doing that caused you to run into Ms. Kawakami on her mysterious job?"

Ren knew Ann was smarter than she let on. Her laid back attitude conflicted with her intelligence most of the time, causing her grades to fall. But, she was a genius when it came to other people and their emotions, along with a keen eye for detail. Which was usually great. But, now Ann had her complete focus on him, and she was absorbing every detail of his story. If Ren didn't pick his words carefully, Ann would just figure everything out herself. She had already figured out that Sadayo's job wasn't normal, and that Ren had only found out because he was with Ryuji. And since she knew Ryuji better than anyone, especially when she was usually on the end of his hormonal teenager side, that meant it wouldn't be long before Ann honed in on the jobs of a more...risqué nature.

"Just call it a lucky coincidence."

Ann slightly raised her hands up in defeat, "Fine. Also, I still can't get used to you calling Ms. Kawakami by her first name."

"I doubt that's the only thing about this you're not used to."

"You'd be right."

Ren chuckled, placing his mug down on the table. "All you need to know is that the job was bad, and she needed out of it ASAP...well, I didn't exactly do anything to help her at first. But, then the deal was formed."

"The deal?"

Ren nodded, crossing his arms as he spoke. "You see, Sadayo was in desperate need of money. And I didn't want to see her having to do a job she hated so much. So, I offered to essentially be a private client. She would help me around the café after hours, and I would pay her. She doesn't know this, but I would actually pay more than we agreed upon. Not only that, but she would give me more free time in class. As long as I keep my grades up, obviously. Speaking of which, no she doesn't manipulate my grades or anything...Actually, now that I think about it she's been harder on me since we started going out."

"What did she need the money for?"

"She...actually, I'm not sure if I can tell you that."

Ann huffed, "You've gotta be kidding me."

"It's just that the topic is sensitive to her. As far as I can tell, I'm the only one who knows about that part of her life either."

"Gambling?"

"No."

"Yakuza?"

"You're pushing it, Ann." The blonde quickly closed her mouth, remembering how sensitive Ren was about innocent people, especially Sadayo. "Let's just say the debt she was paying was wrongfully put on her. And she was working herself to death over it. I even had to visit her in the hospital after she collapsed, but we'll get to that later."