Intro

This is Berk. It's twelve days north of hopeless and a few degrees south of freezing to death.

It's located solidly on the meridian of misery. My village. In a word, sturdy.

It's been here for seven generations, but every single building is new.

We have fishing, hunting, and a charming view of the sunsets.

The only problems are the pests. You see most places have mice or mosquitoes.

We have...

I rushed to the front door, those pests were back by the sound of the chaos ensuing outside, a glimpse was all I needed to confirm my thoughts. Right in front of me, a herd of sheep was being chased by a Monstrous Nightmare.

I gasped and stepped back when the dragon turned to me and blasted it's fire, but I managed to close the door fast enough.

"...Dragons." I breathed out.

Most people would leave. Not us. We're Vikings. We have stubbornness issues.

My name is Hiccup.

I took a deep breath and sprinted out of the house, running past other Vikings wielding weapons and shouting curses to the sky.

Great name, I know. But it's not the worst. Parents believe a hideous name will frighten off gnomes and trolls.

Like our charming Viking demeanor wouldn't do that.

Something exploded, causing me to fall back. A Viking with blonde hair and a long beard stopped in front of me, axe in hand, and roared.

"Mornin'!" He said cheerfully before running off. I got to my feet and kept running.

"What are you doing here!?" A random man holding a barrel asked bewildered.

"Get inside!" Said another, but I kept running.

"Hiccup!" I yelped in surprise when the back of my collar was grabbed and I was lifted off the ground just in time before I could be blasted by dragon fire, but that relief didn't last long once I saw who was holding me. A large man with a long ginger beard and a big helmet, you could tell just by looking at him that he was quite important. "What is he doing out aga-? What are you doing out?!" He shouted at me but I couldn't get an answer out. "Get inside!" He demanded and pushed me away.