001

You were pretty young when you saw a dead body for the first time.

It happened in the Summer of 1959, just over a year after you had moved to Castle Rock, Oregon. Castle Rock was this boring little town with absolutely nothing to do, and it also happened to be the only place you'd ever lived in for more than a few months. Even though it was pretty dull and there were only one thousand two hundred and eighty-one residents, you were just glad that you would be staying in one place for long enough to make a few friends.

Apart from that, there wasn't really much to be happy about to be honest. Ever since your dad had decided it would be a lovely idea to disappear from existence, your alcoholic bitch of a mother had been dragging you from state to state, meeting different men and shit like that. Once you came home from school to see her and the mailman getting it on right on the shared couch. You never sat there again, by the way. That was back when her drinking problem wasn't too bad, but now nobody wanted to be around her, including yourself. Your mother had some serious anger issues and liked to take it out on her only daughter sometimes. (classic y/n life ya know)

There was only one decent thing that had ever happened since you started moving, and that was meeting Chris Chambers, Gordie Lachance, Teddy Duchamp, and Vern Tessio. You had moved to Castle Rock in the middle of the school year so the girls already had tight-knit friend groups that weren't exactly willing to take in the random new kid. So the boys thought they would be nice and invite you to hang out with them.

Well, that's the sugarcoated story, anyway. What had really happened was that Teddy had been trying to juggle his textbooks in the middle of a crowded school hallway while the other three watched him in disappointment, and he'd accidentally punched you in the face while you were passing by. And as if that wasn't bad enough, one of his books went flying in the air and whacked you right in the eye. They all felt terrible and that's when they asked you if you wanted to sit with them at lunch.

Out of the four, Chris Chambers was definitely your favorite. His bad reputation meant nothing to you, plus, everything people thought about him was based on fake rumors. Nearly everyone in Castle Rock assumed he was a troublemaker just because of his brother, Eyeball Chambers, who was in a dumb gang called the Cobras or something. Chris wasn't anything like his brother, and although you'd never admit it out loud, he was so much prettier, too. Maybe even as pretty as Annette from Mickey Mouse Club-

"Hey," Chris's voice brought you back to reality and you snapped out of it, pretending to be focussed on the game. "How do you know if a Frenchman's been in your backyard?"

"I'm French, okay?" Teddy lied.

"Your garbage cans are empty and your dog's pregnant."

You, Chris, and Gordie all began laughing while Teddy just looked annoyed. "Didn't I just say I was French?"

"Mhm, sure," Chris nodded, unconvinced, before knocking on the makeshift table, which was basically just an upturned wooden crate. "I knock."

"Shit." Teddy mumbled through his cigarette. He took another card from the pile.

"Twenty-nine."

"Twenty-two."

"Aw, piss up a rope!" Gordie complained, slamming his cards down on the table in frustration. You were preparing yourself to start teasing him until you took one look at your own cards and practically yeeted them across the tiny room, which caused Chris and Teddy to burst out laughing. They found it even funnier when you slugged Chris aggressively.

"Gordie's out!" Teddy did his signature psycho-killer cackle, lowkey sounding like a witch. "Oh, Gordie just bit the bag and stepped out the door, y/n following right after him!"