Chapter 6: Day 3

It was another new morning in Pure Heart Valley, and Adorabat had just settled into a somewhat new and different morning ritual for herself, considering her circumstances. She was in the bathroom, standing in front of the smallest sink which was designed just for her. She was combing the fur on her head while looking in the mirror in front of her.

"I took a shower today using that special dew-flower shampoo from Mao Mao's soap shelf and made sure to wash every body part, including all the edges of my wings and in my ears, which I haven't really done before but sorta liked," she said to no one but herself, simply giving herself a voice to listen to as she organized the start of her day. She then turned over to grab a moderately sized spray can, one that may only be the size of Mao Mao's and Badgerclops's palm but half a whole wing for her. "I'm using adult-formula cream deodorant for that chocolatey-scented shine." She then grabbed another bottle to sprinkle a few drops of what she didn't know was aftershave onto one wing, then rubbing it together with both wings. "I can't seem to find my toothbrush, so I'll pick one up when I go out today. Other than that, I'm in good shape." Once she lathered enough of the substance on her wings, she then clasped them onto her cheeks for a rub, but she never got to do any rubbing upon feeling that immediate sensation.

" Once she lathered enough of the substance on her wings, she then clasped them onto her cheeks for a rub, but she never got to do any rubbing upon feeling that immediate sensation

All across the house, a long-drawn-out scream of sensitive pain reverberated off every wall.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fortunately, that episode was over, and Adorabat was able to move on to her next task of the day. Adorabat figured that if she wanted a new toothbrush for herself, she would have to go down to town to shop for it. But first, she needed money.

Flying down to the basement-garage, Adorabat looked around the part of the room that was Badgerclops's designated workspace, checking every shelf on the wall for anything she overlooked before. Her eyes eventually settled on an innocuous tin box that sat ever so diagonally on the topmost shelf, hanging just above the workbench with the little plastic tank containing Lucky's pet spider. That was what she was aiming for. With a brief flapping of her wings, Adorabat flew straight up and perched herself onto the shelf.

It would have been very simple to just walk across the shelf and open the box, or at least, take it down...but she didn't expect the shelf to be thinner and flimsier than she would have speculated. A creak, crack, and a full-on snap was all Adorabat heard before the shelf she stood on split in half, sending her and every object on it sliding off and falling onto the workbench and floor with a clattering crash, drowning out her yells of surprise.

When the scene was finally over, Adorabat dug herself out of the trashed pile of stuff. She went back to the pile to sift through it and fish out the tin box she had been after in the beginning. Opening the box, she smiled in approval of the paper money she saw in it. "Perfect," she attended to herself while grabbing all the wads of bills, "Badgerclops's emergency savings." Now that she had what she came for, the bat flew back up to ground floor to get ready to leave.

Out of the pile of junk, a lone spider crawled out and made its way for the stairs.

After leaving HQ, Adorabat had to fly so the way to town, since she couldn't use the aerocycle. As she made her way into the more populated area, she passed by one of the houses belonging to one of the Sweetypies she knew. She thought something was off from the way the indoor lights were on and shining out through an outside window, so she landed for a brief inspection.

"Didn't Slim Pigguns leave for Meadow Hills?" she wondered out loud, but then shrugged her shoulders and walked off. It's not like she cared if Slim was away or not. That Sweetypie was just as unpredictable as Pinky most of the time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inside Slim's house, there were two occupants who were decidedly not the owners. In fact, it was none other than the fox and raccoon from last night, the former special men Rufus and Reggie. Reggie was giggling to himself as he occupied himself with roughly knocking items off a shelf and into a sack, paying no attention to the clattering that sounded as the items fell into the bag. Rufus was busying himself with another corner of the house on which he raided precious items from, but he was more meticulous and delicate in his action. He didn't look particularly pleased with Reggie's lack of discreetness.

"You know, you're really the burglary expert at the moment," Rufus remarked sarcastically, "Could you maybe keep it down?"

Reggie gave what was the equivalent of a backhanded acknowledgement when he was interrupted by the ringing of a telephone. The phone rang for a bit and then transitioned to an automated recording asking for the caller to leave a message. It was when the raccoon heard the caller's voice that it got truly interesting.

"Hey dude or dudette," came the voice of none other than Badgerclops, "Just calling to give you a heads-up on an emergency. Just call me at..."

Reggie called to Rufus. "Hey Rufus? Did you say that the Sheriff's Department was supposed to be away on vacation?"

"Yes," Rufus answered with a tone of disappointment, considering where he and Reggie were last night. "What of it?"

Reggie looked eager and happy to report. "You were right. They are gone!"

Rufus smirked. "Of course I am." He looked out another window to observe the HQ that stood far in the distance atop the mountain cliff.