Chapter 7

Once she finally made it to the heart of town, Adorabat finally understood the lively lights that decorated the area from what she saw of it last night. The remaining Sweetypies who were staying home in the valley for the holiday had set up all manners of Snowfest-themed decorations, a number going across the streets, on the outside of every surrounding building, and even inside those buildings. It wasn't surprising at all, but it was still just as pretty to look at.

Adorabat was currently in one of the valley's shops, going to the front counter when she had just gotten a toothbrush. She had to get there by flying herself, as the aerocycle was evidently without the gem cell to put it, rendering it unusable. She wondered if it was stolen by the Sky Pirates, but pushed the thought aside as she didn't remember seeing any of them apart from Orangusnake last night. At that point in time, it was her first time being away from the house since everyone there vanished.

The adult Sweetypie working the counter and cash register looked a little confused when seeing Adorabat alone approaching. After all, this was a child supervised by no grownups. Even with Adorabat being a member of the Sheriff's Department, it still applied, though no one would say that in front of the assertive bat.

"How can I help you, little miss?" the cashier asked Adorabat.

Adorabat held up her toothbrush. "I'm just getting one toothbrush to go, please."

The cashier took the toothbrush from Adorabat and got right to calculating the cost on the register. Once the typing was done, the cashier started the price to Adorabat, who went on to hand over a bill. But it was when she just received her change that she noticed a dark-skinned hand belonging to a suspicious orange-furred simian arm bring placed on the counter next to her. Her eyes widened, causing her to slowly turn and look up at the owner of the hand and arm. She was face to face with none other than Orangusnake once again.

"You!!" she screeched loud enough to startled both the Sky Pirate and everyone else in the store, pointing a wing at him. "Back for more!?"

Orangusnake jumped back upon realizing he was facing the same little bat again. "Not again! Is stalking me all you do these days!?" he hissed in reply. He drew out his weapon to activate his holo-axe. "I was easy on you last night, but you pushed your luck today!" With a spin of his axe, he dashed at Adorabat. Although he missed her, his blade sliced off a section of a neighboring aisle shelf. "Where are your other sheriff buddies?"

"Why's that matter, you jerk?" Adorabat screeched defiantly, not wanting to entertain the pirate's inquiries for a second. She grabbed a nearby piece of merchandise and flew up to swing it at the pirate's face.

Orangusnake defended himself against that attack, prompting Adorabat to grab more items and throw them at him, ignoring the cries of mortification from the cashier and other employees of the store. "Look who's talking, jerk!" he loudly retorted. "I'm not letting you ruin my shopping trip!"

Orangusnake batted away and sliced apart the items thrown his way while Adorabat sideswiped him to land in strikes with more solid store objects, prompting even more cries from the staff. The chaos from this back-and-forth exchange continued until the two crashed out of the store through the front wall, scattering debris and mercantile items across the street.

Both the bat and pirate panted heavily as they faced each other in a standstill, with even faint beads of sweat forming on their brows. Orangusnake caught his breath first. "So, you're really here out on your own, huh?"

Adorabat didn't say anything back, opting to just glare at the pirate with the fiercest bared fangs she could display. "I can beat you up just fine by myself!"

Orangusnake only grinned mockingly, not enough that he had a plan but looked more like he was reacting to something ironic. "Heh. So you are all by yourself...Why's that? Mao Mao and Badgerclops got sick of you and needed some time away?"

Adorabat flinched slightly, the sound of Orangusnake's suggestion feeling somewhat hurtful. They just forgot her, right? It's not like they left her behind on purpose. It just couldn't be the case. "This is my chance to do anything without their help! Don't think you can win because I'm little!"

"Oh please," Orangusnake laughed, gesturing with a hand. "You didn't even knock me off my feet. You call that a real fight?"

Adorabat wasn't taking any more of the pirate's jabs. "You be quiet, filthy criminal! You're all alone too, you know!" she retorted. "What do you think you're doing stealing from Sweetypies during Snowfest season anyway?"

The question, at the very least, wiped the grin off Orangusnake's face. "Stealing? What are you talking about? I told you I'm not doing anything evil! You just ruined my shopping trip!"

"Don't lie!" Adorabat yelled back in mutual defiance. "You were trying to take rolls of blankets from that shop! You don't need extra blankets for your cape!"

"Actually," both were interrupted by the damaged store's cashier coming outside to talk with them, then pointing to Orangusnake, "he was here to pick up those blankets. He was so nice when he helped us set up the mini-trees in the junkyard."

Adorabat's eyes widened at hearing that bombshell, while Orangusnake lifted his chin up proudly at the affirmation, even crossing his arms for emphasis as a means to rub that refutation in Adorabat's face. "But..." she stammered, "he's a pirate! He tried to steal the Ruby Pure Heart! He can't be trusted!"

The Sweetypie huffed. "Nonsense! He's been nothing but polite and helpful this whole time! You're the one who bothered him and ruined his shopping trip! Shame on you!" The Sweetypie turned to lift a rolled blanket to Orangusnake who took it in his hands.

Adorabat got ready to yell something again, but noticed the other Sweetypies in the street looking at her with disapproving eyes. And if that wasn't embarrassing enough, she noticed Orangusnake turning his head to her and sticking out his tongue, making what sounded like a combination between a hiss and a blown raspberry. Seeing no way she could prove the pirate was up to no good without making herself look bad, Adorabat could do nothing else except take her toothbrush and fly off.