Chapter 11: Day 4 - Snowfest Eve

The next morning was just like yesterday's.

Adorabat was in the bathroom, standing on the sink counter in front of the mirror freshening up. She had a catchy jazzy Snowfest song playing, which she was silently lip-syncing the words of while using the various grooming products available to her. She combed her fur, occasionally holding the comb she used as though it were a microphone. She took a can of fragrant solution and sprayed a few whiffs on herself. Then, she took the bottle of aftershave and sprinkled a few drops on a wing. She rubbed her wings together to spread the liquid solution and placed them on her cheeks for a rub.

 She rubbed her wings together to spread the liquid solution and placed them on her cheeks for a rub

The sensation was instantaneous. The burning feeling was strong enough to make her scream, long and loud enough to drive Lucky's pet spider out of hiding and make it leave the bathroom.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back in town in an average grocery store, Adorabat carefully examined every shelf of the aisle she was navigating. She had to take her time, as she needed to flap her wings harder than she usually did to pull the shopping cart behind her with the various goodies she already placed in it. Looking in one direction, she went and grabbed a carton of milk to add to the cart.

After she finished grabbing all the items she needed, she pulled the cart towards one of the checkout counters. She could already see the cashier working at that counter give her a funny look, as though the cashier were expecting someone taller and older behind the shopping cart. Adorabat tried to pay no mind to that insinuation, stopping herself right next to the counter and taking out her grocery items to place on the countertop for scanning.

Adorabat watched as the cashier began scanning all the items. She decided to occupy her tone by reading one of the nearby magazines from the rack next to the counter. After a bit of browsing and skimming, she got curious about the boxes of TV dinner that were being scanned. "Are those microwaveable dinners any good?"

"I dunno," the cashier answered.

"I'll give 'em a shot," Adorabat remarked, giving a little smile for self-assurance. She noticed the cashier scanning and then taking a longer-than-usual look at a sealed bag of toy soldiers and military vehicles, holding the bag up for her to see. It was as though she were being asked what that was doing among the rest of the pile of essentials. "For the kids," was her explanation for it. When she spotted the cashier scanning a juice carton, she knew that was the last item. "Hold on," she interjected, "I got a coupon for that." She took out a printed coupon in which its edges made it look like it had been cut with scissors. "It was in the paper this morning."

The cashier took the coupon Adorabat handed over and scanned it on the cash registering machine, pressing more buttons to calculate the total cost. "$19.83," the cashier told the bat.

"Okay," Adorabat affirmed, taking out the required amount of money asked of her. She handed them over to the cashier.

It was at that point, after the transaction was done and over with, that the cashier decided to get curious. "Are you here all by yourself?"