Life Uncommon

Note to self: NO MATURE CONTENT, for future kids to read

One's hardships in life always varies through every path taken. For example, med students would see med school as the hardest part, but as a second year resident I can definitely confirm that 1 year of being an intern absolutely destroys 4 years of med school: you're lost and clueless, unbeknownst the next action you're supposed to take. The following years do get easier and harder simultaneously, but internship at a hospital has by far been the toughest part of my educational life. Actually, I'm pretty sure I would've given up and hit rock bottom without the help of Addison, my wife.

I must say, the 4 years I spent at med school were torture at the moment, but through the eyes of present-day me, I would say they were the easiest and most fun years of my life. Meeting Addison, moving in with her, with Mark in the next door apartment, pulling all nighters together to study for our tests, it was everyone's dream. With us being interns last year, we're barely ever on the same shifts or under the same residents. And when we were home at the same time, we were all dead asleep after our 72+ hour shifts.

I'm not going to lie, watching the attendings save lives every second of the day, giving consults, performing mind blowing surgeries was outstanding: I could feel my nerves jumping up and down and amazement taking over me. The best feeling was when you were able to answer a question thrown at you by anyone at a higher level than you. I was especially happy when Addie answered, her eyes widened and shined, the corners of her lips spreading apart forming the largest smile. Marrying her was the best decision in my life, and, while Mark makes fun of me for the song I wrote and sung for her on our wedding night, I couldn't be any more proud of how far we've come - as a duo and a trio.

Speaking of us, yesterday's shift was amazing! All three of us were flown over to Seattle to work the pit for a silver flood from the Roseridge Home for Extended Care in Seattle Grace Hospital because they were running low on staff that day. I really didn't mind it at all because if you've met me, you'd know that I have a thing for ferry boats, and there are lots of ferry boats there; not to mention THE Ellis Grey works at that exact hospital. Anyways, apparently one of the dementia patients set their room on fire because they thought the lighter was a hairbrush? It's really messed up, first off, why would you ever leave something dangerous anywhere near someone with a terminal and/or severe neurological condition; let alone leave them alone with it? And second, it's a care facility, these things shouldn't even be in the buildings unless they're locked in a safe. The fire spread to all wings of the place, some more than others, but we were able to save everyone, except for the person that started it. It was an especially great learning opportunity for our interns since they could practice their ABC's, dress the wounds, test for smoke inhalations, ask for consults, and a handful had to perform intubations to care for patients in critical condition. As of right now (the day after the incident), we've discharged about 92% of our silvers, and the rest have been admitted to stay for a day or longer to have their dressings changed every now and then, or their stats are far too unstable to send them back.

Oh! By the way, there was this one Alzheimer's patient who reminded me a lot of Ellis Grey - legendary general surgeon, but I doubt it was her since she's still in practice. Next to her there was this young girl, about 16 or 17 - definitely Mark's type if she were older: deep blue eyes, medium-length blond hair. I actually caught him checking her out and mocked him for a few hours about it after our shift. He was embarrassed but I don't blame him, she was gorgeous. Apparently he got her name and the only hint he would give me is that it started with an M. Maybe he'll track her down in a couple years, when she's older, and hook up with her like he usually does with girls. I really do hope he finds someone to stick with forever, he's always sleeping around like a man prostitute; I would be surprised if there existed a girl of legal age who hasn't been penetrated by Mark Sloan, I mean he's got the looks and the hair (half as good as mine of course), and he can turn any casual conversation into sex talk which would bring him to the woman's bed in less than 2 seconds.

I'm just about to get dressed for my next shift with Dr. Baylow. Thank god it's only 45 hours, she's overtaken by her hubris and it's very clear she's a racist after seeing her interactions with a black med student in my team by the name of Bailey, if I'm remembering correctly. It would be my last day here which isn't the best thing since we don't have that many ferry boats in New York and it was super cool exploring a new city; hopefully I'll be able to come back for a visit sometime soon and have the chance to meet with Dr. Grey; who knows, maybe I'll even bring Addie and Mark to tag along.

Update, it's the night of our flight. We hit the bar, I ordered a double scotch single-malt, Addie got a martini and Mark... well he was being his typical self and hitting on girls. We're about to catch a cab and head to the airport, good news is they messed our tickets up and we're flying on business. Hopefully we're all next to each other, I don't wanna end up sitting with a random person laying their head on me and someone else sticking their feet through the arm rest. Yuck.

As of right now, I don't know where life will take me in the next few years, hopefully I'll keep writing in these journals so our future kids can look at their parents' younger days, how we spent our time, and just get to know us.

_______________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note:
Hello to anyone reading this!! This is my first ever fanfic, no clue how this is gonna turn out. I think my chapters are going to be within the range of 900-1300 words. I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter, give me suggestions on how to improve in the comments! I'll update as consistently as possible. See you soon!

-Meredith