Chapter 27: The Worst Of Times

Ernest died today. Or yesterday maybe, John didn't know. They got a message from Ms. Wolfe: "Ernest dead. Funeral Sunday. Condolences." That didn't mean anything. Maybe it was yesterday. Mrs. Huang was still sad. She made Juliet gather flowers and put them in a vase. Alas, poor Ernest, John knew him well. Nobody talked much. Mrs. Huang did not give the scheduled quiz. John wished to know how Ernest died. Beth did not know. She was still sad. She did not know Ernest well. Ms. Wolfe watched the class for the period. She cried too. John tried not to cry. That would be weak. But John saw Juliet cry and so he cried too. Many tissues were used. Some spilled from the garbage can. John asked Mrs. Huang if the quiz would be rescheduled. The bell rang and John was still sad.

"How could he have had a heart attack? He's skinny!" Regina commented. It wasn't as if she knew Ernest personally, but she didn't like the idea that something similarly unfortunate could happen to her.

"The worst things happen to the best of people. I wish it didn't happen, but now it has, and we can only move forward from here," Frank assured her. It was rare that they talked one-on-one, but they both heard the news of his death simultaneously.

"Did you know Ernest?"

"I knew him well enough. Ernest and I had our disagreements. He called me 'evil' frequently. He opposed everything I stand for: my methodologies, my attitude, my good cheer. But I respected him greatly. They say not to speak ill of the dead, and I would never wish to do so. I can say that Ernest was a man of principles who kept to himself, wisely distancing himself from our own social circles over time. I have great respect for that. They say not to dishonor the dead's legacy, but I do not know what legacy Ernest will leave. I consider him my inner conscience—I think, 'what would Ernest do,' and then resolve to do exactly the opposite."

"You should deliver his eulogy, that was well said."

"No, it would be too hypocritical—besides, I'm not attending. I think affairs like that are best saved for family, or people who don't have any risk of bad blood. Maybe I'll visit him privately at the cemetery afterward." Regina was astonished to see Frank so pensive; he didn't cry, as far as she saw, but he spoke with thought behind his words, and that alone was revealing.

"Why would it be hypocritical?"

"You see, the very first fragments of How To Be A Good Person were spawned from a conversation with him. He believed me to be manipulative, only concerned with my own interests above all others. I argued my point that a person ought to make their own happy endings, make their own brighter futures, and do so with efficiency and zeal not weighed down by inconvenient things like morality. All to make the world a better place, mind you, a world you would prefer to live in. He believes—believed that sort of initiative abominable. So understandably, when I came out with my personal guide to all things good, he was a bit peeved. Even more so when it defied his expectations to become mainstream."

"Hold on, I thought you said that Juliet was the inspiration behind all of this? Didn't you say that her unfettered kindness and desire for self-improvement drove you to guide others along the same path?"

"That's not wrong either. Ernest planted the idea in my head of doing something, Juliet turned that idea into the form it took today. If not for her, I would be the captain of an underground movement, manipulating everything from the shadows. Instead, I captain a public movement, manipulating everything in plain sight. But anyway, Ernest. He hated all of this, and he's going to hate even more what's going to happen next."

"What's happening next, Frank?"

"Well, I guess here's your sneak peek: I'm going to run for student body president, and Juliet and Alan will run for other positions as well. That should give us enough authority."