CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE

"Hey!" I shriek—laughing out loud—as Aiden manages to douse me with a splash of his bath water, "You are being such a jerk right now, you know that?"

"Ah!" He says, beaming, attempting to splash me again; though I intercept his hand just in time.

"No sir," I say, shaking my head, "Do you want story time after this?"

"Ah," he says, nodding.

"Then no more splashing," I say, letting go of his hand, "Okay?"

"Ah," Aiden smiles, clasping his hands together—interlocking his fingers—to demonstrate to me that he intends to keep his body to himself.

"Thank you," I chuckle, washing the last of the shampoo out of his hair, "Guess who I saw today? Kayla!"

"Kah-kah-kah?" He questions, his eyes lighting up.

"Yup!" I giggle, "She was trying to give me some advice about Leo; but I don't think I'm gonna take it."

Aiden claps his hands together excitedly; he loves Kayla and she loves him. Just hearing her name has him in a good mood; I need to remember to facetime her sometime when he's around.

"But I want to ask you," I say, "Cause you get me better than anyone; do you think I should just let Leo go? Or should I keep fighting for him?"

"Luh," says Aiden, putting his hands to his ears; referencing Leo's over-the-ear hearing aids.

"Yeah, Leo," I confirm, opening the bathroom drain while I towel dry his hair, "Do you like Leo?"

Aiden makes his signature foghorn-like hum, scrunching up his face and turning his head in the other direction; weird. When Aiden really likes someone, all it takes is to mention their name and he'll be jumping up and down—like with Kayla—but for some reason, mentioning Leo doesn't seem to get that response from him.

"You too?" I say, raising my eyebrows, "Am I the only person that believes in second chances?"

Aiden huffs, sighing dramatically, "Uh."

"What do you mean?" I inquire, helping him dress into his Spider-Man pajamas, "Do you want to see Leo?"

"Uh," he repeats, humming again.

I'm honestly not sure what to infer from this, but he definitely knows who I'm talking about and is not impressed or interested; could Kayla be right? My parents think I'm crazy for talking to Aiden the way I do, but I truly believe he understands—and listens to—me better than anyone else in the world; his opinion is one I value greatly.

"I love Leo," I sigh, "I've got to give him another chance; I've got to."

Aiden turns his head to the side for a moment, looking at me and then huffs again, nodding his head once.

"Ah, Eh-Eh," he says, patting my chest.

"Thanks, dude," I say, picking him up and kissing him on the cheek, "One more chance; but that'll be it."

"Ah," he repeats.

"Ah," I smile, tussling his hair and grabbing his favorite Curious George book, "Ok; let's do story time."

I sit on his bed with him, his head on my shoulder—sucking his thumb—as I turn through the pages of Curious George Goes to the Hospital; his new favorite book in existence since his own hospitalization due to lead poisoning. I read to him until he falls asleep—about halfway through the story—and then I return to my own room; blasting alternative music and thinking about kissing Leo again.