27. Queen Anne's Lace

A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech, when words become superfluous.

by Ingrid Bergman

The car came to stop within the underground garage of the building Enrico resided in. He turned off the engine, then let out a light sigh before shifting his eyes to Kiana, who sat beside him. A simple smile plastered on his face.

She stared back at him with almost the same display of joy in her eyes and smile on her face. His hand lightly squeezed hers in his, causing her to take a look at their hands.

"We're home." He commented causing her to raise her eyes back up to him. She nodded a bit shyly at his statement of the fact. Both knew the next step to take, but it seemed neither was ready to take that step.

For Enrico, time around him had really come to a stop the moment he heard those beautiful words from her. Stepping at least five steps away from her for even a second, felt a little terrifying and empty. That right there, holding her hand in his, smiling and staring into her eyes all seemed so beautiful. Reality had never been this good to him.

"You... you do understand that we have to step down, right?" Kiana posed, a little tone of amusement in her voice as well as her expression.

He let out a light chuckle.

"Not really. I have all I could ever need in my life right here, in my car with me. Living in my car doesn't seem like a bad idea to me... what do you say?" He commented, with a dash of cockiness.

Kiana scoffed, as she looked away from him for a moment, then her attention was returned back to him.

"I say you're crazy... We both have responsibilities and can't live in your car for the rest of our lives, so we have to get off." She explained as she tried her best with the help of her other hand to free her hand from his hold. Enrico noticed and decided to let her have her way. After all, she did make a pretty good point.

Kiana unbuckled her seat belt, before reaching for the door in an attempt to open it.

"Wait." Enrico demanded, causing her to return her gaze back to him.

"You... you're now my woman and as a gentleman, I'll get the door for you." He told her with a cute smile drawn across his face.

A shy smile displayed on her face in the context in which he described her. It didn't sound as awkward as it did the first time he jokingly addressed her in such a manner in the presence of his mother. In fact, it sounded fun, exciting and it made her feel like butterflies were tickling her from within. She had always wondered what it felt like to be in love, to be in a relationship, to have to depend on your significant other. Now, she was slowly going to find out how it actually feels to be in such a position. She was definitely going to have the peace of her life she never had. Honestly, the knowledge of that fact felt exciting for her.

"You really don't have to..." Her words and attempt to appear modest trailed away, as he quickly stepped down from the car. She watched him walk all the way to her side and without wasting a moment more, he opened the door for her, then stretched out a hand for her to hold onto. A true charming smile portrayed on his face.

Kiana couldn't help, but stare at him. For a moment there, it all seemed so surreal to her. He was actually offering her his hand. He had never done that before and she couldn't deny the fact that this side of him was pretty much great. Still hanging on to that simple smile on her face, Kiana placed her hand in his and with his help, she stepped down from the car. Only when was she on her feet once more, did she feel a sharp pain shoot up throughout her entire body. She couldn't place which exact part for sure within her body actually ached. It was just a pain that seemed to shift from one part to the other, but Kiana tried her best not to show that actual fact.