04. chopper, sic balls

✧ • ✧ • ✧

✧ • ✧ • ✧

━━CASSIDY AND THE FOUR BOYS WERE STANDING JUST ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FENCE SEPARATING THE OUTSIDE WORLD FROM THE JUNKYARD. There was a sign on the fence that read "TRESPASSING STRICTLY FORBIDDEN." On the other side of it was a mess of wrecked cars and other junk.

"Hey, Vern, looks like your mom's been out driving again," Gordie said, looking at the wreckage. Cassidy stifled a laugh at the joke; Vern's mother was a sweet woman, but boy, was she a terrible driver.

"Oh, that's so funny I forgot to laugh," Vern said, sarcastically.

Teddy leaped onto the fence and shouted, "Paratroops over the side!"

Teddy and Vern were the first to drop into the courtyard, running to the water pump— the kind where you really had to work to get the water pumped out— which stood in a bulldozed area not far from a tar-paper shack and a stunted ash. Cassidy, Chris, and Gordie dropped in not long after the other two.

Cassidy looked around nervously; She wasn't scared of the "beast", Chopper, that every male in Castle Rock seemed to tremble at the mention of, but rather the grumpy owner of the dog, Milo Pressman.

Taking their time walking across the grounds, they watched Teddy work at the pump frantically. He looked sort of like a mad scientist working on an experiment; The image nearly had Cassidy bursting with laughter. Both him and Vern stuck their heads under the water that came flowing out of the pump, Teddy still pumping madly.

"Teddy's crazy," Gordie said, watching their two friends.

"Oh yeah," Chris agreed. "He won't live to be twenty, I bet."

"Shut up," Cassidy gave her brother a dirty look, even though there was most likely some truth to his words.

Teddy had been in a countless amount of near-death experiences, and he only got through them because someone had been there to stop him or keep something worse from happening.

"You remember that time you saved him in the tree?" Gordie reminded them. Cassidy winced; That was one of the most terrifying things that she'd ever witnessed.

Teddy had been climbing up a large tree, despite everyone telling him to get down before he got hurt. Of course, Teddy being Teddy, didn't listen, and one of the branches he was standing on snapped. The moment Cassidy heard that SNAP! she could've sworn her heart stopped. Chris managed to save him just in time by grabbing a fistful of his hair on the way down.