07. leeches!

✧ • ✧ • ✧

✧ • ✧ • ✧

━━CASSIDY AND THE BOYS SLOWLY WALKED ALONG THE TRACKS, EATING BERRIES FOR BREAKFAST. Berries didn't sound like the most filling meal, but Cassidy rarely ate breakfast anyways because of the limited supply at their home, so she was fine. The boys, though. . .

"Geez, Gordie, you shoulda bought some breakfast stuff like Twinkies, and Snoballs, and root beer," Vern panted out.

"Sorry, Vern, I guess a more experienced shopper could've gotten a lot more for your seven cents," Gordie sassed.

Cassidy had to bite back her laugh.

"Just pretend these blackberries are sausages, and eggs, and pancakes, or whatever else you want," Chris suggested.

"What if I pretend you're stupid?" Teddy asked.

The five continued on for a long ways, sweatier and grimier than ever. They stopped once they'd reached a large meadow. Beyond the meadow Cassidy could see a thick forest, with a river flowing through it.

"Ladies and gentlemen . . . the Royal," said Chris proudly.

"The tracks go way out of the way," Gordie said, pointing to the tracks that headed in the opposite direction of the forest.

There was a minute of thought, before Chris spoke up again.

"All we have to do is cut across that field, and we'll be there in an hour."

Vern shook his head, "I think we should stick to the tracks."

"No way," Teddy disagreed with Vern. "Let's go."

"Gordie?" Chris asked.

"Yeah."

"Cass?"

"Sure."

Teddy was the first to leap over the side, shouting "Take no prisoners!" Cassidy, along with Chris and Gordie, followed him down into the meadow. Vern stayed on the tracks, looking at them hesitantly.

"It's a lot safer if we . . ." Vern trailed off. Everyone continued making their way through the meadow. "You don't know what's in those woods . . . We could get lost . . ."

As the others continued walking further away, Vern decided that he would rather stick with his friends than get left behind.

"Hey, you guys! Wait up for me!"

Cassidy did not like the shortcut. At all. If her pants and shoes weren't already ruined, they definitely were now. For the last few minutes, they had been walking ankle-deep in mud.

"I hate this shortcut," said Vern, voicing Cassidy's thoughts.

"I hate this shortcut," Teddy mocked. Vern made a fake jab at Teddy, and he flinched.