Self Destruction

Tom

"WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING?!" Edd was giving me his lecture about how important it was that no one else learns about my secret. He had me by the shoulders, shaking me back and forth. "YOU'LL HAVE YHE WHOLE FUCKING ARMY ON US!"

I rolled my 'eyes'. "Practically already did."

"Yea, about that-" Tord tried to insert himself in between us awkwardly.

"What is it now, Tord?"

He rubbed the back of his neck. "I think we'll have to go into hiding for everyone's safety..."

"And where do you think are we gonna hide six people?!"

"Well I was thinking that since the army didn't see you two, they don't know you exist. You could probably chill in a hotel until I can get things under control. As for us..." Tord looked at me and his foster parents, silently begging us for an idea.

"We could probably head back to that grocery store and hide out there." I suggested.

"I don't even know if its still there. Besides, it probably got ransacked for supplies back when the army found it." Pat mentioned.

"We could sneak back into the army base. Destroy it from the inside." Paul added.

I shuddered, remembering being held down and gagged while sharp needles dug into my skin, showing no signs of mercy. I felt Tord grab my hand. I looked up at him, scared.

"Don't worry. We'll be extra careful this time."

I squeezed. "I sure hope so."

Flashback

I walked up to one of the high ranking commanders and decided to test my disguise out.

"Sir!" I stood at attention, patiently waiting for the older man to turn.

"What do you want, soldier?" His voice was gruff, almost like he had just gotten finished shouting orders for the past few hours.

"Where are the trainings?"

"Out in the courtyard. They start in two minutes."

"Thank you, sir!" I saluted him and started speed walking down the corridor and out to the courtyard.

I had just gotten into a line formation with the other new soldiers as the commander of the training walked onto the field. I could tell that everyone was scared by the way their postures stiffened and the terrified look in their eyes.

They probably never used a gun in their lives.

A child, maybe a little younger than Nathan, stood hunched over, bawling in between two taller teenagers. They were desperately trying to console him and silence him before the noise attracted the commander.

It was too late.

He marched over to the crying boy and slapped him.

"GROW UP! YOU AREN'T A CHILD ANYMORE! ACT LIKE A SOLDIER OR I'LL STAND YOU IN FRONT OF THE FIRING SQUAD! DO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR?"

"Y-Yes sir," The boy stuttered in shock and fear.

He turned his back on the boy and walled over to the other side of the field where there appeared to be people with burlap sacks on their heads.

Fugitives, I thought.

They were marched over and lined up parallel to us.

"Now here's what our first training is about." He smirked.