CHAPTER 35

LANTRA'S CAPITAL was nothing but ruins, the remnants of a colorful, clean city

LANTRA'S CAPITAL was nothing but ruins, the remnants of a colorful, clean city. Gone were the blue, red, yellow and orange walls of the shops, cafés and bars that adorned its center; destroyed were most of the houses and buildings; gray and black were the colors that prevailed. The city could seem haunted in the eye of a stranger, a traveler, a pilgrim.

The prison's escapees were being kept in catacombs, shielded with magic to ban away any possible threat, to keep afar anyone trying to capture them again. That was why they hadn't come to the only square that was still well-preserved, untouched by the riots and the fires and the rage. Which meant that my parents weren't in the crowd, which meant that I wouldn't have their familiar faces to stare at whenever things got messy. But Denfer was here. I could focus on him.

Wearing a pair of white pants, a white shirt with pearls at the ends of its mid-length sleeves and a pair of also white stilettos, I was glad that I'd been working for Jersen, who was rather generous with his payments, and I could afford the elegant and expensive clothes of the Gap World's greatest boutiques.

People had started arriving. Some of them were lucky enough to find a chair to sit on, while many others were standing behind the ten rows of chairs. The weather was great, if a little too hot, the sun not being hidden behind any cloud, the summer heat being at its peak. We would begin in a few minutes.

The dais that was placed in the center of the square could be reached from two stairs, one on its left side and one on its right. Denfer and I were standing at the right side, Vircus and the leaders of the other rebel groups next to us. It demanded a great amount of effort to block their words from making me forget everything I'd planned to say.

Denfer was silent, which was good because I was sick of listening to Vircus complaining about the speaker of the opposite group being late.

With my back turned on the growing crowd and my gaze focused on the horizon, I didn't know what to think of other than the fact that I should probably calm down. Of course, it didn't matter that I may raze to the ground every chance of success this rebellion had. Of course, it didn't matter that I may make a fool of myself and the cause I served.

"Who is the most intellectual person to ever live in Lantra?" Denfer's voice came from behind me. Soon enough he was beside me, his hands in the pockets of his beige coat.

"Who?"

He tilted his head to the side, offering me one of his dark smiles that had my heart floundering. "You."

"You're exaggerating," I replied, pretending I was shy, my voice higher than usual on purpose.

"I don't care."

The few moments of silence between us were enough for me to eavesdrop on what Vircus was saying. The opponent hadn't come yet. It wouldn't hurt if he'd decided he didn't want to show up.